The Fenton Hotel.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Mercury November 16th 1867
Attachments
__TFMF_vdgazyqi1zghrsyhoiqh3qm1_0389914e-ce90-4150-8ba8-f5c33d5b09fb_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vdgazyqi1zghrsyhoiqh3qm1_0389914e-ce90-4150-8ba8-f5c33d5b09fb_0_main.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 3134 times

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

liits wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: I've been trying to research the history of this pub for the new management. I've been a regular there for about 20 years. I've not managed to find much online apart from pictures in Leodis and some old maps.Does anyone know the history of this place or could point me in the right direction?No-one seems to know when it was a hotel.I assume it was built in the late 1800's around the time they built the housing estate that was replaced by the university campus.There used to be a barracks nearby. The description of the premises as a “Hotel” is a bit of a moveable feast. As a rule of thumb, premises describing themselves as a “Hotel” were generally those which held a full publicans license. Beer Houses tended to be signed as “Inn” or “Tavern”. The title of hotel did not necessarily mean that it provided any form of lodgings. Many Beer Houses styled themselves as Hotel if they gained a Wine License. The Fenton was a Beer House with a Wine License [the wine license being “grandfathered” in with the 1872 Act] so maybe this is where the Hotel portion of the name comes from. Prior to 1872 and its Licensing Act, the dates of tenure of the licensees is very difficult to establish. Only with the enactment of the Act were dedicated licensing panels set up and compelled to keep accurate records. Those records can be found in the archive at Sheepscar and will enable you to complete the remainder of the licensing history of the Fenton. Thanks for that liits, I was just gonna post that as a question/comment myself as someone in the trade told me that a pub named as a Hotel was not necessarily used as a Hotel.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

liits

Post by liits »

uncle mick wrote: Leeds Mercury November 16th 1867 Good find, Uncle Mick.I wonder how or if the J I Baxter in the advert is related to the Baxter family who later held the lease of the premises for many years. The first Baxter I was aware of was William Ernest [b.1854 Barwick in Elmet] only son of Nathanial and Susannah. He was variously the licensee of the George Inn on Great George Street and the Cloth Hall Tavern, Infirmary Street as well as the Fenton [where his wife Ellen [Agatha] stayed on as licensee while he went and ran the Cloth Hall TavernTheir son, Herbert Henry -known as Harry [b.1891], succeeds the license from his mother and it is then succeeded by his wife, Doris.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

This is all great stuff.Thank you all so much for your help.When I get some time off I will certainly pay a visit to the archive in Sheepscar and the library and I'll let you know what I find.    

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

liits wrote: uncle mick wrote: Leeds Mercury November 16th 1867 Good find, Uncle Mick.I wonder how or if the J I Baxter in the advert is related to the Baxter family who later held the lease of the premises for many years. The first Baxter I was aware of was William Ernest [b.1854 Barwick in Elmet] only son of Nathanial and Susannah. He was variously the licensee of the George Inn on Great George Street and the Cloth Hall Tavern, Infirmary Street as well as the Fenton [where his wife Ellen [Agatha] stayed on as licensee while he went and ran the Cloth Hall TavernTheir son, Herbert Henry -known as Harry [b.1891], succeeds the license from his mother and it is then succeeded by his wife, Doris. Ellen Agatha Baxter died on 18 Nov 1924 she did not appear to leave any money to her family in her will (attached)
Attachments
__TFMF_5avsmli5gf3doj45yfifirvc_7c9d2bd9-5986-4d59-8d03-4dc62b1f04c0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5avsmli5gf3doj45yfifirvc_7c9d2bd9-5986-4d59-8d03-4dc62b1f04c0_0_main.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 3134 times

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

Here is a map dated 1850 borrowed without permission from the excellent www.old-maps.co.uk.At first glance there appears to be an empty space where the Fenton should be.The left most building is Ibbertson Place.[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/ ... 1332864782[/img]    

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

Here is a map dated 1890 borrowed without permission from the excellent www.old-maps.co.uk.[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/dervxerox/Fenton/fenton1890.jpg?t=1332864824[/img]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dERvXeroX wrote: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL Looking at the info in the photo it is run by the Baxters in 1966 and later still according to Liits.So the Baxter family where there from at least 1891 to 1966. I think they should change the name to Baxters     

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi Regarding Church Fenton I am coming to Leeds in April to look at Church or Kirk Fenton as my ancestors used to have a 28 acre farm there and Little Fenton. Never went there when I lived in Leeds as I didnt know that my side of the family came from there. Looking forward to finding the farm although by now it could be a housing estate. Regarding the Fenton street or Pub then it did probably come from the name Fenton the village as it is not too far from Leeds and means settlement on the marsh.regards
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!