Does anyone remember when Sweet Street looked like this? (Crytal Palace pub)

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

what a mess it was then. i work round here near Beweleys Hotel. *shocked* http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 420_168866

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

YepThe scary thing to me is how 1970's footage on TV looks out of another age.I also remember a drunken dosser throwing a bottle at us on the wasteland (that is now ASDA HQ).Mate responded with webley junior (packing heat I believe they call it now). Happy carefree days 'south of tha river'.Ooh, you couldn't make it up!    

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

That gas holder in the back ground was huge I used to work in the yard occasionally and rummage around the things that had been dumped there.
Hunslet born and bread

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

If I remember correctly I'm sure the government training centre I did a Radio and TV maintenance course in 1973/74 was on Sweet Street.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: If I remember correctly I'm sure the government training centre I did a Radio and TV maintenance course in 1973/74 was on Sweet Street. You did remember well. It was on the corner of Sweet Street and Marshall Street, went there after leaving the Forces in the early 70s, its still there but used for training now, I believe its for young offenders.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Remember it well, we played 5s and 3s in the Crystal Palace on Fridays. See my comments on the Leodis site

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

My favourite pub down Sweet St was the Commercial we used to go in on a Friday dinner and it was allways full plus they had a fantastic Boogie Woogie piano player.
Hunslet born and bread

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

When I first stated work (late 80's) I used to have to occasionally accompany someone paying cheques etc in at the branch of the TSB that is just out of shot (that's long gone too!). I can remember it a few years later when Cricket Wicket arrived (later to become the LA Bowl - now also long gone).I always wondered at the time how the handful of businesses down there survived.Apparently Jan Fletcher's property company has big plans for the area, but that is presumably waiting for the economy to pick up.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Last I heard she owns Bryans Fish and Chips, a finger in many (err) pies if you will.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

geoffb wrote: Remember it well, we played 5s and 3s in the Crystal Palace on Fridays. See my comments on the Leodis site Tyke wrote: My favourite pub down Sweet St was the Commercial we used to go in on a Friday dinner and it was allways full plus they had a fantastic Boogie Woogie piano player. These were part of a regular pub crawl around Holbeck we used to do in the early 1980s: Crystal Palace, Commercial, Kings Arms, Britannia, Lord Nelson (usually in that order!).