The Hope Inn North Street.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder what happened to the clock on the ABC/Ritz? I used to use the cinema up to its closure, but I don't recall the clock.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Another view of The Hope Inn Edit - Notice how different Crispin House looks at the LH side of the photohttp://goo.gl/maps/Vxa9k
Attachments
Hope Inn 1.jpg
Hope Inn 1.jpg (105.65 KiB) Viewed 2480 times

liits

Post by liits »

That's a great photo, Uncle Mick, can I ask where you got it from?As the Hope's architectural style seems to be similar to that of the Three Legs, I wonder if the same architect had been used as the pubs belonged to different companies. Turns out it wasn't far apart.. The Hope was rebuilt in 1898 and the Three Legs in 1904.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

liits wrote: That's a great photo, Uncle Mick, can I ask where you got it from?As the Hope's architectural style seems to be similar to that of the Three Legs, I wonder if the same architect had been used as the pubs belonged to different companies. Turns out it wasn't far apart.. The Hope was rebuilt in 1898 and the Three Legs in 1904. It is a great photo Liits, I found it on Facebook ( Leeds Back In The Day)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jonleeds wrote: I guess its not anything to do with the 'Band of Hope'?! I dont know if its still there but there used to be a small blue enamelled rectangular plaque attached to the wall of a building down at the side of Leeds Bridge - near the other plaque about Louis Le Prince's early example of making moving images. The plaque said something about the building having been previously the site being the meeting place of a temperance (anti-drinking alcohol) movement called 'The Band of Hope', I dont know why this warranted having a blue plaque, but it wasnt the usual Leeds Civic Society kind of plaque. It always intrigued me as to why it was placed there. I havent been across Leeds bridge for a few years so as to notice if it was still there or not. Does anyone else know? Hi jon .It's not a blue plaque but I wonder though if this the plaque you mean in this photo that I took today (September 25 2014). It (along with the blue plaque commemorating Louis Le Prince) is on the building by the side the River Aire downriver on the south side of Leeds Bridge. I was in the general area so I did not need to divert much to go there.Edit. After posting I noticed the quality of the photo is not good (a result of reducing its file size). Clicking on the paper clip and then opening the file should bring up a better quality version.
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (128.84 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.