Which Leeds location is the longest to house a pub?

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The interesting thread about White Horse Farm has made me think about the White Horse Inn (WHI) and the not too far away Dog and Gun Inn (DAGI) that is also on York Road.Both the WHI and DAGI are still at where they are noted in the 1851/1854 map in the Old Maps UK website (the now demolished Shaftesbury pub is however not on that map). I would be interested to know which inn/pub in Leeds (not necessarily the original building) has been the longest at its site. I would guess that the oldest will probably be one of those in the centre of Leeds.As a kid in the later 1940s to early 1950s I used to sometimes play around the WHI (it was only a few minutes walk there) though I don't really recall much of the area. Oddly I have no recollection of playing around the DAGI even though it was just as near!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

In the 50s I used to lake about around the Dog & Gun and the Wykebeck, they used to keep crisps at the back of the Wykebeck.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

I would think one of the pubs up Briggate will be the oldest, Whitelocks, Pack Horse or The Ship maybe.. But the oldest in the Leeds Boundary is the Bingley Arms at Bardsey not only the oldest in Leeds but the oldest in England.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

geoffb wrote: I would think one of the pubs up Briggate will be the oldest, Whitelocks, Pack Horse or The Ship maybe.. But the oldest in the Leeds Boundary is the Bingley Arms at Bardsey not only the oldest in Leeds but the oldest in England. I believe it is the Pack Horse off Briggate though it,s been altered a lot.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

My first thought was the Pack Horse on Briggate too.Definitely not the Ship as the original inn was on the opposite side of Ship Inn Yard than the present pub. The Old Red Lion might be a contender too and even the Scarbrough,which is on the site of an older pub called the King's Arms
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

liits

Post by liits »

I’m with Drapesy on the Old Red Lion and, additionally, the Golden Lion at the bottom of Briggate. Before it was rebuilt as a bland hotel [opening on 25th September 1879] it was a public house. I would imagine that at either end of the [then] one and only bridge into Leeds would have been a pub and these two fit that criteria.As to the White Horse, York Road; the present building [less its 1930’s facade] opened for business on 27th September 1877 replacing an older building, both the old and the new buildings being owned by the Low Moor Iron Company.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I dont know if you class Pudsey as Leeds but the Park Public House now closed has a date above the door.Going back to the seventeen hundreds.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

liits wrote: I’m with Drapesy on the Old Red Lion and, additionally, the Golden Lion at the bottom of Briggate. Won't argue with you as the expert on here!!!But if we want to point out some very old pubs going back a long way and roughly unaltered (which we may as well) can I add the Queens in Horsforth.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I've read plenty of times in the Evening post etc that Whitelocks has definitely been there since the BEGINNING of the 18th century (as the Turk's Head originally) unless they're just guessing. But surely you'd expect an old town like Leeds to have one somewhere that goes back on the same site to at least early 17th century if not a century before. It's almost the default option of most old-established towns to have a pub going back that deep into history.Ye Olde Man And Scythes in Bolton (I hunted it down to have a drink there last year when I was working there) goes back to 1251 for instance. Although I doubt Leeds will touch that there must be something from around 1500 surely.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Wouldn't a pub that was an old coaching station or by a canal or something of that sort pre-date the ones mentioned so far?