KEITH WATERHOUSE RIP

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

zip55 wrote: majorhoundii wrote: There was a TV series on in the fifties called Budgie about a chancer in London, it starred Adam Faith - I think this was by Waterhouse too (poss also Willis Hall) And spawned the fashion piece 'the budgie jacket'. Think the 50's might be a little early for Budgie. I remember watching it in the 70's.Ian Cuthbertson was great as the the gang boss with the inevitable hardcase forever at his side. And who would not be intimidated by somebody callled 'Laughing Spam Fritter'?

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: Yeah it's one of theirs.City Lights is a childs-eye love letter to LeedsStreets Ahead recalls leaving Leeds, his London Days, Fleet Street, Plays etc and covers stuff like Budgie. HAHAHAHA LOVE THE PIC!(Is it Benny Hill?).    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

majorhoundii wrote: There was a TV series on in the fifties called Budgie about a chancer in London, it starred Adam Faith - I think this was by Waterhouse too (poss also Willis Hall) It was the seventies god knows why I put the fifties - alzheimers approaches

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Error

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

[quotenick="Caron"] Jogon wrote: Yeah it's one of theirs.City Lights is a childs-eye love letter to Leeds...HAHAHAHA LOVE THE PIC!(Is it Benny Hill?).     Benny as Jimmy Saveloy in "Top of the Tops" - Broadcast: January 27, 1971

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Hope it is of interest http://tinyurl.com/d6d5lcp

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: Hope it is of interest http://tinyurl.com/d6d5lcp Thanks uncle mick I enjoyed reading that re his childhood and my childhood you could be talking about the same person.Reading City Lights was like reading about myself has a child..
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

error

tilly

Post by tilly »

Jogon wrote: by way of repeat It's the lad himselfhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/writers/12215.shtmlHaving read the books and seen the recent press coverage he was to large extent a 'one trick pony' and milked Silverdale for all it was worth and more.Credit to him.His mentor at YP said write about what you know and eveyone will want to read it.He did. Hi Jogon I could write a book about my childhood what about the time I was awal from Silverdale I did a runner me and a lad I met there. We set off for Leeds not knowing the way or how far it was found by the police and taken back.I had never been away from the streets it felt to me like borstal all i wanted was to be back to my dear Hunslet        
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Jogon wrote: Hello BlakeyI see you liked Mr Glover.I think you might enjoy Alan Bennett's 1st television play from Dec 1972 shot in black & white (the better for it!). 'A Day Out'A heady mix of:-1. Alan Bennett play featuring2. Brian Glover3. Pre-WW1 Halifax cycling club trip to Fountains Abbey.It would be a sin to give the plot away, or spoil 'the whole thing' by a youtube clip. I have it on boxed set dvd Bennett @ BBC ('bout £14 on amazon). This includes Sunset Across the Bay with archive footage of Leeds. According to his obituary, the recently deceased Paul Shane mad his TV debut in this play