KEITH WATERHOUSE RIP

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: Caron wrote: I had the book "Joby" and read it until it fell apart.I also liked "Kes" and the wonderful actor who played the Games teacher in the film. Brian Glover was the actor in question. I used to really enjoy reading his weekly column in the YEP. Brian Glover was a wonderful actor, and sadly died far too early, in his late fifties IIRC.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Hello BlakeyI see you liked Mr Glover.I think you might enjoy Alan Bennett's 1st television play from Dec 1972 shot in black & white (the better for it!). 'A Day Out'A heady mix of:-1. Alan Bennett play featuring2. Brian Glover3. Pre-WW1 Halifax cycling club trip to Fountains Abbey.It would be a sin to give the plot away, or spoil 'the whole thing' by a youtube clip. I have it on boxed set dvd Bennett @ BBC ('bout £14 on amazon). This includes Sunset Across the Bay with archive footage of Leeds.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: Hello BlakeyI see you liked Mr Glover.I think you might enjoy Alan Bennett's 1st television play from Dec 1972 shot in black & white (the better for it!). 'A Day Out'A heady mix of:-1. Alan Bennett play featuring2. Brian Glover3. Pre-WW1 Halifax cycling club trip to Fountains Abbey.It would be a sin to give the plot away, or spoil 'the whole thing' by a youtube clip. I have it on boxed set dvd Bennett @ BBC ('bout £14 on amazon). This includes Sunset Across the Bay with archive footage of Leeds. Yes, excellent play. It seems to me that any film/play set in yorkshire and with brill northern actors/writers just cannot be beaten.Wish they'd repeat some of the old stuff instead of the rubbish we're blessed with now.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: Caron wrote: I had the book "Joby" and read it until it fell apart.I also liked "Kes" and the wonderful actor who played the Games teacher in the film. Brian Glover was the actor in question. I used to really enjoy reading his weekly column in the YEP.http://ayup.co.uk/gods/gods0-3.htmlhttp ... P66T8ktiTA Yes,raveydavey,a firm favourite of mine.....Kes,as sportsmaster,"We'll be Manchester United.....etc" classic scenes from the FA cup replay v Tottenham Hotspur ! Very funny...then I remember him in an episode of The Sweeney and also Bottom with Rick Mayall/Adrian Edmondson etcYes,a bit typecast but a better actor than he was accredited with.Sadly missed.....as is Keith Waterhouse too !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jogon wrote: Hello BlakeyI see you liked Mr Glover.I think you might enjoy Alan Bennett's 1st television play from Dec 1972 shot in black & white (the better for it!). 'A Day Out'A heady mix of:-1. Alan Bennett play featuring2. Brian Glover3. Pre-WW1 Halifax cycling club trip to Fountains Abbey.It would be a sin to give the plot away, or spoil 'the whole thing' by a youtube clip. I have it on boxed set dvd Bennett @ BBC ('bout £14 on amazon). This includes Sunset Across the Bay with archive footage of Leeds. Many thanks for those recommendations Jogon - shall attach them to the list of "must do's and "must haves." I am unashamedly a real lover of B & W films, the older the better, and what they may lack in modern film making scarcely believable technology they more than make up with familiar "atmosphere."    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Jogon wrote: Hello BlakeyI see you liked Mr Glover.I think you might enjoy Alan Bennett's 1st television play from Dec 1972 shot in black & white (the better for it!). 'A Day Out'A heady mix of:-1. Alan Bennett play featuring2. Brian Glover3. Pre-WW1 Halifax cycling club trip to Fountains Abbey.It would be a sin to give the plot away, or spoil 'the whole thing' by a youtube clip. I have it on boxed set dvd Bennett @ BBC ('bout £14 on amazon). This includes Sunset Across the Bay with archive footage of Leeds. He also wrestled, I believe under the name Leon Arras

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Started his wrestling career as Erik Tanberg (The Blond from Sweden).Then took up the name of an absentee wrestler and became Leon Arras, the man from Paris. He was the son of a wrester, Charlie Glover.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The talk of Brian Glover remined me of the excellent 'The Fishing Party' that he was in which was a BBC Play for Today about 3 miners on a fishing trip (set in Whitby if I recall correctly). Just to check something I've looked it up and was surprised that it was first broadcast in June 1972. I knew it would be some years back but I did not think it was as long as 40 years back!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Leodian wrote: The talk of Brian Glover remined me of the excellent 'The Fishing Party' that he was in which was a BBC Play for Today about 3 miners on a fishing trip (set in Whitby if I recall correctly). Just to check something I've looked it up and was surprised that it was first broadcast in June 1972. I knew it would be some years back but I did not think it was as long as 40 years back! Ray Mordt was in it, and Jane Freeman (Last of the Summer Wine cafe) There was another one where they went to Stratford on a canal boat.Thinking about wrestlers' relatives - the famous designer Wayne Hemingway is the son of the Canadian Indian wrestler Billy Two Rivers, and the Huddersfield Giants forward Eorl Crabtree is the nephew of Big Daddy.

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I loved the TV programme of A Day Out. Mr Glover was outstanding but must admit I cant remember the others in it. I remember laughing about it as it reminded me of a real life event. My Dad was always the big fisherman who caught a fish so biiiiiiiiigggggg but itgot off of the hook. This used to cause amusement when he got home from his day away. We once visited Whitby, which I loved and still do, and he decided to take a 3 or 4 hour trip fishing on a boat. My Mum and sister had to walk around for hours awaiting his return. When we saw the boat coming back I said to Mam me Dad doesnt look rite well in fact he looks green. She said dont be silly. Then as the boat neared us she had to agree. He never mentioned about any big fish that got away as seemingly he was hanging over the side for nearly 4 hours. Laugh. Needless to say he never went out on a boat again. Talking about Alan Bennett I have contacted him a few times being an Armley lad and he still remembers his time in Armley and we both enjoyed talking about Armley Feast and what was good about it.Sorry to hear about Keith. Was watching Billy Liar being made down Green Lane when its the dream sequence of Tom Courtney being in the Army on a tank. Think it was 1961? Got Toms autograph and also Otto Premingers. Chuffed I was until I found out my Mum had washed my jeans with the paper still in the pocket - typical.    
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!