Town pubs of the late 70's/early 80's

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stevief

Post by stevief »

I've heard the place mentioned a few times in this thread and feel compelled to ask 'Where was the Brahms and Liszt?' I was never much of a town drinker back then so I didn't try it.Is it true the ownership was shared between some Leeds United players?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This was the converted basement of Devereaux House on the corner of East Parade and St Pauls Street, demolished and rebuilt some time ago. The lift in the entrance was very convenient for the recreational activities of a certain group of workers from the offices above!

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Clankylad wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Kaiya wrote: Clankylad wrote: I’m a Scrumpies veteran too. I remember seeing the Macc Lads there, and also Zodiac Mindwarp. Scrumpies and the Frog and Toad in Bradford, with me perm, bullet belt and Twisted Sister T-shirt. Those were the days… You have to be one of the people that converged with us since the Frog used to be a regular haunt for us along with Scrumpies.Can you also remember, Acid reign used to be regulars at Scrumpies before they became famous. And the Blue Angels bikers used to pop in from time to time.And can anyone remember "Mad Mick" and "Big Tony"?? I still run into Mad Mick every now and then; he's a bit greyer but looks more or less the same. I think he lives somewhere near me, in Middleton. Acid Reign were still Scrumpies regulars WHILE they were famous. Actually, I seem to recall Mad Mick decking H one night for something or other. I remember the words "You can't hit me, I'm in Acid Reign" floating across the room, closely followed by H himself...I still mourn the Frog & Toad. Bradford was rubbish after that got knocked down. Its replacement club Shades was like somebody's house, although it did at least sell Thunderbird over the bar. Came across this item the other day... Wahey! Cheapo Toad ticket! Is that Uncle Charlie's autograph, or did they just write the name of the act on the ticket in biro?

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

LeeRatbag wrote: Clankylad wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Kaiya wrote: Clankylad wrote: I’m a Scrumpies veteran too. I remember seeing the Macc Lads there, and also Zodiac Mindwarp. Scrumpies and the Frog and Toad in Bradford, with me perm, bullet belt and Twisted Sister T-shirt. Those were the days… You have to be one of the people that converged with us since the Frog used to be a regular haunt for us along with Scrumpies.Can you also remember, Acid reign used to be regulars at Scrumpies before they became famous. And the Blue Angels bikers used to pop in from time to time.And can anyone remember "Mad Mick" and "Big Tony"?? I still run into Mad Mick every now and then; he's a bit greyer but looks more or less the same. I think he lives somewhere near me, in Middleton. Acid Reign were still Scrumpies regulars WHILE they were famous. Actually, I seem to recall Mad Mick decking H one night for something or other. I remember the words "You can't hit me, I'm in Acid Reign" floating across the room, closely followed by H himself...I still mourn the Frog & Toad. Bradford was rubbish after that got knocked down. Its replacement club Shades was like somebody's house, although it did at least sell Thunderbird over the bar. Came across this item the other day... Wahey! Cheapo Toad ticket! Is that Uncle Charlie's autograph, or did they just write the name of the act on the ticket in biro? It's not a ticket, it's a membership card. That's my name (well, my middle name). I can't remember what benefits you got for being a member - it's so long ago now! Maybe it was half-price admission or something.
"This is the North. We do what we like."

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Ah, my mistake. Is your name Charlie Harper then (and if so, presumably you're not the same one that sings for the UK Subs?!), or am I misreading the card? I don't think they still had membership by the time I started going there - don't think any of our mob were members, anyway...

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

LeeRatbag wrote: Ah, my mistake. Is your name Charlie Harper then (and if so, presumably you're not the same one that sings for the UK Subs?!), or am I misreading the card? I don't think they still had membership by the time I started going there - don't think any of our mob were members, anyway... Charlie's my middle name - dunno why they put that on the card (you filled a form in, paid £3 and they posted it to your house). Seen the UK Subs on numerous occasions though, mainly at the Duchess. And now I've got 'Stranglehold' going round and round in my head...
"This is the North. We do what we like."

leesparky

Post by leesparky »

The brewery that ran the Duchess of York ran a competition to rename it in the late 80s. My mate won the competition calling it 'the pub with no name'. I went with him to accept the prize at an award ceremony (with free beer!) However, they bottled it and never actually called it that - weird.

leesparky

Post by leesparky »

Anyone go to Cullens or Digby's??!!

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

leesparky wrote: Anyone go to Cullens or Digby's??!! Hi leesparky,I went into Cullens and Digbys also old steps and parkers in the late eighties always same crowd in them all at some time of the day. I worked for National express so it was convenient for lunch and very friendly at night,It seemed most of clients were from insurance and local offices,Even though I am in South Africa we still keep in touch with afew of the Cullen crowd.
Ex Leeds Lass

eighties boy

Post by eighties boy »

Here are some of my thoughts and memories of this thread:Three of my favourite destinations in the late 80's haven't even been mentioned yet (I know this a thread for the early 80's, but they kind of mingle don't they?) - There was the News nightclub in City Square with Harlequins bar next door - seem to remember the DJ was called "Hutch", never had a bad night in there and very rarely saw any trouble.Around the same time (1986) used to go to Sunset and Vine and then upstairs to Madisons (had to behave in there though) because as someone has already pointed out, there was a pro boxer on the door called Tom Collins who hel a couple of belts in the late 80's - imagine getting a clout off him with no gloves on????The following year was spent drinking in Casablanca which was down some stairs next to Jumpin Jaks behind what was the bingo and then Majestyks - it was a bar with a dancefloor at the back and was a really good night. If we could be bothered we'd go to the Warehouse, if not, we'd stay at Casablanca, either way, we'd end up on the 924 "Battlebus" to Pudsey, also know as the "Nightfighter" or the "Fightrider". There used to be some real tear-ups between lads from Bramley, Rodley, Calverley, Farsley and Pudsey - I've seen lads thrown out of windows from the top deck on that bus service - hope the drivers were on danger pay - they needed it.Another bar we used to go to was Parkers Wine bar which was down behind Madisons on the way to the Warehouse which we went to every week from early '88 to mid '90 - anyone remember "Queer" Alan who managed the cocktail bar or DJ Roy - think he was the longest serving DJ in Leeds at one point, 15-20 years or something daft - does he still work??? Also big lad on the door called Maurice - he was game - never saw him back down once and it used to be a slaughterhouse before everyone started taking drugs later that year.