Pubs and lost pubs in and around Otley.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Can anyone tell me if the Dyneley Arms fully rebuilt after the fire,orwas it just the interior?The reason I ask is that when I passed, last week, coming from Otley on the A660,the Building seemed to be further back from the road.Its a while since I have been that way.I always thought the footpath was narrow at this point.    
"always expect the unexpected"

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leeds-lad wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Dyneley Arms fully rebuilt after the fire,orwas it just the interior?The reason I ask is that when I passed, last week, coming from Otley on the A660,the Building seemed to be further back from the road.Its a while since I have been that way.I always thought the footpath was narrow at this point.     It was entirely rebuilt inside and out but on exactly the same site. Its an optical illusion that it seems further back from the road - this is caused by the removal of the two square bay windows which had been added after it was built and which gave it "character" IMHO.Evidently the idea was to return it to its original shape. Since it re-opened its difficult to tell on sight whether its a pub or a large expensive private house, and there's no prominent publicity at all about meals.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

The existing building was heavily modified, but not rebuilt further from the road.Pre-fire, it was largely rendered. During restoration, this rendering was removed, uncovering the evidence of many previous alterations. It looked like the windows had been remodelled, and the previous openings filled with differing stonework, or even brick. Most of this has been replaced, and the new stonework is very noticeable. As for the Spite, I've heard various rumours, from it re-opening as a pub, to it being made into flats. Perhaps Phips knows?    

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Dyneley Arms fully rebuilt after the fire,orwas it just the interior?The reason I ask is that when I passed, last week, coming from Otley on the A660,the Building seemed to be further back from the road.Its a while since I have been that way.I always thought the footpath was narrow at this point.     It was entirely rebuilt inside and out but on exactly the same site. Its an optical illusion that it seems further back from the road - this is caused by the removal of the two square bay windows which had been added after it was built and which gave it "character" IMHO.Evidently the idea was to return it to its original shape. Since it re-opened its difficult to tell on sight whether its a pub or a large expensive private house, and there's no prominent publicity at all about meals. Oops! We've posted at the same time, Blakey!Yes, I've wondered about it's total lack of signs. The only way you can tell it's a pub, is by the old wooden sign in the car park.    

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Si,I, too, have heard that a small consortium (possibly linked with Kork's) have bought the Spite and it is to be renovated and then re-opened as a pub/restaurant. I have lost count of the number of times that the Spite has opened, closed, reopened again, etc., over the past few years. I will believe it when I see it, and have had a pint in it.Ian

Si

Post by Si »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Si,I, too, have heard that a small consortium (possibly linked with Kork's) have bought the Spite and it is to be renovated and then re-opened as a pub/restaurant. I have lost count of the number of times that the Spite has opened, closed, reopened again, etc., over the past few years. I will believe it when I see it, and have had a pint in it.Ian That's one of the rumours I've heard too, Ian. If it happens, I'll see you there.

railnut

Post by railnut »

Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Dyneley Arms fully rebuilt after the fire,orwas it just the interior?The reason I ask is that when I passed, last week, coming from Otley on the A660,the Building seemed to be further back from the road.Its a while since I have been that way.I always thought the footpath was narrow at this point.     It was entirely rebuilt inside and out but on exactly the same site. Its an optical illusion that it seems further back from the road - this is caused by the removal of the two square bay windows which had been added after it was built and which gave it "character" IMHO.Evidently the idea was to return it to its original shape. Since it re-opened its difficult to tell on sight whether its a pub or a large expensive private house, and there's no prominent publicity at all about meals. Oops! We've posted at the same time, Blakey!Yes, I've wondered about it's total lack of signs. The only way you can tell it's a pub, is by the old wooden sign in the car park.     This being a Sam Smith house explains why there is a lack of signs as their policy is no advertising. Go to any Sams pub and you'll only see the one traditional swing board [aka the Butchers at Pudsey] and probably a sign over the door. Not much good on a major junction like Poole Bank/Otley Rd. Many a person has remarked that as you come up/down the Poole road you 'pass the block of flats at the traffic lights.This policy is a shame as when pubs are closing they need all the adverts they can get, even if it's a local on site one.I think this is a reason that the Arms is always quiet [as the car park always testifies].    

Si

Post by Si »

You're right, Railnut. Putting the name of the pub (and brewer) on the wall is hardly advertising in the sense of TV, posters and press. If this is their policy, why don't they go the whole hog, and stop putting labels on the bottles and handpumps? Sam Smith's pubs always stood out because of their distinctive livery - white gothic-lettering on a black background, with a black, gold and white Yorkshire rose.    

railnut

Post by railnut »

Si wrote: You're right, Railnut. Putting the name of the pub (and brewer) on the wall is hardly advertising in the sense of TV, posters and press. If this is their policy, why don't they go the whole hog, and stop putting labels on the bottles and handpumps? Sam Smith's pubs always stood out because of their distinctive livery - white gothic-lettering on a black background, with a black, gold and white Yorkshire rose.     And if you notice, that when you are in the pub there is a choice of products. Sams or nothing. That includes all the spirits.Probably thats why everything is so cheap, but not what the decernable customer wants these days. Long gone are the days if you wanted a pint of Tets instead of Bentleys you went to the pub next door. Scuse me while I find a hanky!

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

railnut wrote: Si wrote: You're right, Railnut. Putting the name of the pub (and brewer) on the wall is hardly advertising in the sense of TV, posters and press. If this is their policy, why don't they go the whole hog, and stop putting labels on the bottles and handpumps? Sam Smith's pubs always stood out because of their distinctive livery - white gothic-lettering on a black background, with a black, gold and white Yorkshire rose.     And if you notice, that when you are in the pub there is a choice of products. Sams or nothing. That includes all the spirits.Probably thats why everything is so cheap, but not what the decernable customer wants these days. Long gone are the days if you wanted a pint of Tets instead of Bentleys you went to the pub next door. Scuse me while I find a hanky! Not Otley but nearby. The Menston Arms , Menston. Whislt visting friends last summer who live in the village . The pub was packed every night I visited. Cheap prices must have being one of the main attractions , bitter under 1.50p a pint and the lager about 20p more from memory. Railnut you are correct with that all drinks are Sam Smith's only. Also of note is that no TV or jukebox are allowed in a Sam Smith house (could stand corrected).Plus the food menu is strictly controlled by the brewery with little or no scope for the landlord to make any extra coin on the food side of the businessI'm sure the forum will have someone with a bit more insight into the workings of this brewery ,I for one would be interested in any response. Maybe it should have its own thread.By the way the pub next door Malt Shovel semmed to have very few clientele at any time I passed, sober or with a few pints of Sam's best under the belt. Locals say you need a mortgage to get tipsy in there.Cheers Yorkie in Brisbane    
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.