The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Re: The Inns and Pubs of Kirkgate

Post by volvojack »

[quote="volvojack"][quote="Leodian"]Passing by The Palace on Kirkgate on November 14 2018 I noticed it had scaffolding round it and was closed. Expecting to find that it had closed down and would probably be replaced by apartments I was pleasantly surprised on asking to find that it is just undergoing renovation work and would reopen soon.

A friend of mine who until recently rented a flat behind the Palace was saying that they get lots of trade from people who come up from out of Town to take up the "Special offers" that the Hotels put on when Reps.and Professional people are not working.He also said they liked the prices of the Beer Spirits etc. so there are quite a few Stag/ Hen nights.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the early 1960s i was a salesman in a carpet warehouse in Cross York St. This pub "The Brougham Arms" was a dump and had a reputation of being a Prostitute hangout so converting it into "The Duck and Drake" could only be a good move.
To a certain extent the Palace at that time was a bit of a rough pub, although it did have live music on once a week.
At that time the Scotsman higher up was a Pub to be avoided although there was one thing in it's favour. you could order a drink and order an Ambulance at the same time.

In the 1940s/50s there was a Father and Son use to sell Newspapers and Magazines which were laid out on the Scotsman window ledge. this was in the age before T.V. News and quite a few folk still did not have Radio.So although they had a good trade i would think they would have had to keep a couple of Crash Helmets nearby

tilly

Post by tilly »

For all that Jack they were good times they made me who i am today.We had nothing but then we were still happy
now money rules.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]For all that Jack they were good times they made me who i am today.We had nothing but then we were still happy
now money rules.

Yes i agree tilly, we also had the choice of avoiding these places / pubs etc. if we so desired. I must admit that sometimes it could be a little concerting when opening the delivery doors on Cross York Street and find someones engaged in a "Knee Trembler" after a brief courtship in the Brougham Arms.

So many Pubs/ Dance halls to go to and travel around without the danger there is today.