the hampton pub Richmond hill leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
hydepark26

the hampton pub Richmond hill leeds

Post by hydepark26 »

this amazing building has been purchased by my family who also purchased the old perseverence building on sussex street just around the corner from the hampton!and yes sole purpose apart from transforming these derelict buildings for the area,we provide affordable living space for young couples who cannot get on the property ladder at this present time,both buildings were derelict for 7 years?the hampton pub has inside some features still left from its hay day which we will keep,this pub eventually would have to have been demolished very sad!we are commited to keeping the exterior as it was with replica original windows,I wish to hear from any one who has any history on this building now the oldest building in Richmond hill.

tbarra

Re: the hampton pub Richmond hill leeds

Post by tbarra »

hello, I lived in the Hampton for 20 years, I have lots of history, pictures and stories, how do we make contact

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Hi tbarra and welcome to the board.

I'd love to see your pictures. Any chance you could post a selection here?

I've had many a good night in The Hampton, often ending up there after an East Street run.

tbarra

Post by tbarra »

hampton.JPG
hampton.JPG (661.48 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
Hi
The Hampton was first mentioned on maps in Leeds Library as far back as 1780 it was a coaching house, It was one of Hemingways Brewery pubs there was only 6, they were bought out by Tetley's in 1965 ish, The pub as you see it now was totally gutted and refurbished in 1978, they took out the whole of the insides and rebuilt it all, the Taproom was the lounge where we had a piano and the old tap room was where the lounge is now adjacent to Long Close Lane, the upstairs private lounge and kitchen were moved from down stairs in the rebuild into a massive "Lodge" room upstairs where years gone by they had "Buffalo Lodge" meetings, from this room was a massive golden mirror which was put in the new lounge,
The ladies toilets were "Interesting" they had to go up stairs to the first floor (A very ornate winding staircase which should have been used however it all went in the skip) and then up a tiny 2 foot wide stairs nearly into the roof, on these stairs we found a secret staircase leading to a secret room in the roof, you can see these on the picture attached, this is a model we had made in about 1970's and as been with me since we left in 1980.
The back door which is open in the model is where my dog "Roy" always sat so we had him put in the model and just inside the door was the stone stairs down to the beer cellar, this was very old with some curved rooms that had been cut into the stone street somehow.

when will the building work start ? with your new homes, it nice that this is been saved as we had it grade 2 listed building with the aid of CAMREA in 1975/76 hence the refurbishment. Hope this help.

hydepark26

Post by hydepark26 »

tbarra wrote:hello, I lived in the Hampton for 20 years, I have lots of history, pictures and stories, how do we make contact
hi there my names Barbara and ime delighted at hearing from someone who lived in this amazing building my phone number is 07860633912 please call me I would be happy to meet up with you at the hampton work commences very soon transforming it from its poor derelict state to what it looked like in your day!the interior will be living accommodation but ime keeping the exterior how it was and the signs going back up.

hydepark26

Post by hydepark26 »

could the lady who answered my request about the hampton pub contact me I would love to meet up to obtain more photos of the Hampton how it looked in the 70s

DBarra

Post by DBarra »

Tbarra is my younger bro and as he has stated we had some great times in the Hampton (home). When I left UK in 1967 it was the old Hampton, I returned in 1979 for a holiday and to see our sick mother (Nellie) not only did I receive some very bad news at the Airport but when I got home to the Hampton I did'nt recognise the interior of the place it had had changed so much (for the better) . It will be so nice to see it put to good use once again. I now reside in Morley but every now and then I go back "home" to the Hampton and the good memories come flooding back, good luck with your upgrade of our old home. DBarra