Vally Pleasure gardens

The green spaces and places of Leeds
BIG N

Post by BIG N »

OK - after adding my two penneth to several threads on this site its time I started one of my own asking for a little information.Does anyone have any information or photo's of the Vally pleasure gardens that used to be alongside Whitehall Rd just East of Driglington.As you head towards Leeds from Drig cross roads there is a rather tatty looking, half drained lake on the left.This was once much larger and was the boating lake for the pleasure gardens until they closed, when this happened part of the lake and valley were filled in and the old Co-op building built there.This land is now where the fairground winter quarters are along with a small holding with stables on it, the lake used to reach almost to the Vally pub lower down Whitehall Rd.You can see the lake in this shothttp://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.762008&lon=- ... &src=gglto the right of it is the land that was in-fill, the first part is the small holding that now has stables on it, to the right of that is the old Co-op building surrounded by Lorries and caravans that forms the travellers yard.The only info I have seen on this is a single black and white photo on the wall of the Vally pub showing a rowing boat on the lake.Any info would be great guys.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

I think you might already have more or less all the information that there is to be had.There was a garden, a lake, and a boat.The boat did boat rides. Erm, That's it ! We 'ad simple pleasures in them days.The area seems to be called Cockersdale. and the Cockersdale pub is still there. I can remember reading somewhere that visitors were advised to ask the bus conductor to drop them off the bus at "The Boat", but I can't trace this document now. I think it might be worth your while investing in the price of a pint or two at the Cockersdale.Be alright.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Cockersdale has had a change of name - it's now the " Gas House Tavern"There used to be a gas-works on the opposite side of the road, I understand.
Attachments
__TFMF_ffolrp45urbinc45p4ygmnfq_de9b94ee-0b3a-4454-b77a-8edcc23d9f4d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ffolrp45urbinc45p4ygmnfq_de9b94ee-0b3a-4454-b77a-8edcc23d9f4d_0_main.jpg (140.71 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

LMAO - I have spent many an hour in the Cockers, Being an ex "Feasty" and spending a lot of time on the yard up the road.There isn't , and never has been, any reference to this in there, however there is the photo in the Vally, and also a reference to a lakeside cafe.However, the vally also has a downstairs bar with a door opening out into the car park, this has not been used for a great many years now and I was wondering if this was actually the cafe - I.E. perhaps they sold tea and coffee etc from there during the day.I have tried many internet searches and Leeds liberary but I can't find any other reference to the pleasure gardens.Drapesy - you are correct, it has reverted to the Gas House Tavern, this was its original name when the gas works stood across the road but it took the name "The Cockersdale" after the gas works was pulled down, being named after the stream that runs down the valley - Cockersdale Beck.    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Taken from the advert for Tyrrells Berry Gardens, Cockersdale, Drighlington:For the Easter Holidays"Take your Girlie where the Bans is playing Tyrrells Berry Gardens again. Don't go to the seaside, the weather is too cold and changeable. Save expense and come to:Tyrrells Berry Gardens Cockersdale DrighlingtonYou will be sure to enjoy yourselves. The best place for a Good Tea. Resfreshments, Meat Sandwiches, Pies Buns etc. Try us. WE OPEN FOR THE SEASON ON GOOD FRIDAY.ON EASTER MONDAY AND TUESDAY A BAND OF MUSIC, engaged for selections and dancing - afternoon and evening (weather permitting) Come early. Bring the children, they love to come. Come in thousands, we can supply you all. Good Shelter. Pleasure Boat, swngs and Ranty. Admission one penny on these two days to meet the expenses of the Band. Free when no band. Remember Tyrrell's Gardens. the Berry Gardens are the MIDDLE GARDENS. Ask for the Boat, and you will be right."There are pictures but I'm not sure how to get them on here. God knows what Ranty means.
Industria Omnia Vincit

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Thats Brilliant Trojan - do you want to Email me the piccys please bign1023athotmail.comof course you need to replace the word "at" with a squiggly thing in my addy.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Trojan - recieved your E.mail mate, thanks for that.However - for some strange reason it won't open, just get a message that the software to support it is not on my P.C.I will get my mate who sorts all my P.C. problems to take a look for me.Cheers once again mate.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Sorry it's Word. I just assumed you'd have it. I'll send it again in another format over the weekend.
Industria Omnia Vincit

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

much appreciated mate - and thanks yet again.

JM

Post by JM »

The lake that you refer to, positioned higher up than the Fairground Yard is not the lake that was used as the boating lake. The boating lake was actually formed by damming Cockersdale Beck, down behind The Valley Inn. I work behind the bar at The Valley and we have several pictures on the wall. The old downstairs bar was never used as a cafe for the boating lake, The Valley Inn has been in existence since at least 1877, at least that is when the first reference to it is in a trade directory. I think the boating lake and tea gardens came much later, about 1905. The cafe for Tyrells Berry Gardens was approached down Dale Road and is still there, although it is now a private house, a picture of it is on the wall of The Valley by the bar, and the actual building can be seen from the side window of the back room at the pub.If anyone has any old photos of The Valley Inn or the old Cockersdale Co-op then me and my friends would love to see them.