Meanwood Park - Witches Stone

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Rombald

Post by Rombald »

Evening, first post...Went up to the Witches Stone in Meanwood Park. There's a bit of info here: http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/7391It's well worth a look... I had a bit of an, um, mystical experience there, which makes me think it's the real deal! Here's a nice photo I took:There's also another stone beyond it, on the edge of the river:...and an odd pile of seeds - evidence of a pagan rite, or just bird feeding?!However, what I also found interesting are the other two stones further up the river:The Modern Antiquarian link above says nothing about these stones - possibly they're relatively modern (gate posts? boundary markings?) - although one of them looked to have evidence of ring marks and some quite old carvings:Does anyone know anything about these? Folklore? Refutations or confirmations of their antiquity?

Foustace

Post by Foustace »

i've heard a story of that wood being a devil worshiping place.Be careful.

LittleBigDave

Post by LittleBigDave »

Foustace wrote: i've heard a story of that wood being a devil worshiping place.Be careful. I think everyone in North Leeds heard that rumour during prepubescence! That, and the one about, "Devil's Rock" in Adel Wood near Alwoodley Park.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

See my post re devil worshipping in the thread about gun testing in Meanwood woods.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... readID=71I grew up in Meanwood and the pit in Meanwood woods was always known as the devil worship pit. We often found melted candle wax there, paths of stones to apparent altars etc. Also I knew a couple of people who saw fires in the woods and heard chanting when cutting down to 'lower meanwood' after a night at the myrtle.I know the stones in question but have no idea what they are. I know that side of Meanwood park was 'meanwoodside' and was owned by the Kitson Clark family. It was behind high walls till around the late 30's. Perhaps the stones were ornamental? The beck used to have a clearly defined island and stepping stones so some thought had clearly gone into the layout when it was a rich mans 'garden'.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

i just noticed this thread. I used to run Leeds Pagan moot and am still connected to the local pagan scene as i run the Wakefield Pagan Moot and Wakefield Pagan Meetup as well as WitchesUnitedKingdom .Although there is the odd pagan ritual done in this area. It is not devil worship just modern pagans.The pictures of the stones are interesting. Earth mysteries researchers of my acquaintance have been to look at "The witches stone" and think it probably is authentic ,although at least one thought it might be a scratching post for cattle.The other stones haven't been looked at by them yet although they are aware of more being there.I will have to draw their attention to this thread.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

simonm

Post by simonm »

If I may, Steve. May I just point out that Witchcraft and pagansim has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with devil worship!!!!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

That was what i meant simonm. I know a couple of Leeds covens sometimes use Meanwood park for rituals. I meant that anything happening as mentioned would definitely not be "devil worship"!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I forgot to mention that the name "Witches Stone" appears to be of unknown origin. The reference on the modern antiquarian site is by a friend of mine quoting me, but I never told him it was called that and was unaware of the stone until seeing references on the net.I wonder if "Witches Stone" came about through people hearing pagan rituals in the woods nearby?I have looked at old maps of the area but not found the name marked.

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Rombald wrote: The Modern Antiquarian link above says nothing about these stones - possibly they're relatively modern (gate posts? boundary markings?) - although one of them looked to have evidence of ring marks and some quite old carvings...Does anyone know anything about these? Folklore? Refutations or confirmations of their antiquity? Hi RombaldThe Modern Antiquarian link you posted does mention more stones that were erected in the valley..."The local historian Arthur Hopwood told me about this stone.It's his opinion that this is one of the many stones erected around the beckside by Edward Oates, who bought this land in 1834. Mr. Oates put up the large stones around the pond just north of this, and also installed the 'clapper' bridges found there. It seems he had a thing about having 'ye olde looking stones' on his estate.Edward Oates was a member of the Mill Hill Chapel, in Leeds City Centre, and apparently brought some of the stone from there, including the two rough stone 'pillars' that are to be found near the pond, a little further up the beck from here. "Arthur Hopwood is the author of a couple of history booklets concerning Meanwood and Adel. Well worth checking out.From chatting to him, he is of the opinion that most of the stones erected in the Meanwood Valley park are modern and created by the aforementioned Mr. Oates.I've checked out the 'Witches Stone' and would've hoped to see more weathering on it's surfaces if it was 'ye olde'! There are some interesting marks on it though, like 'blade sharpening' scrapes. CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I finally got to see this stone last Sunday on a ramble with Northern earth group around meanwood & Adel looking at sacred sites,interesting and just plain weird stuff.It is smaller than i thought and we all agreed that if it is an original standing stone, it has been moved to it's present position nad was not placed there all the time.landscaping by one of the families who owned what is now the park is a likely suspect as there are other stones further along by the bridge over the beck which have obviously been placed there.Incidentally, Dave Wheldrake the archaeologist who was with us ,showed us the so called "Muder stone" which has the name Hancock and a cross carved on it.Interesting, allegedly commemorates the shooting of a man of that name.