Sheeny Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
compton

Post by compton »

Interesting to read about these old districts, they were truly warrens, I lived in Shakespeare Terrace, Burmantofts for a while when I was a child, this area was one of the last to be demolished, not completed until the 70s with the streets up against Burtons on Stoney Rock Lane. I believe that the closer one got to Sheepscar the rougher the area was considered to be, I remember my dad gently mocking my mother because she came from Green Road whilst he was from Shakespeare St. and therefore not a "slum" dweller.
Rod

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: My Great Grandmother lived in Myrtle Street, and my great Grandfather in Copenhagen and later Byron Streets. There are loads of stories my Grandpa and Grandma tell me now of the people that used to live there. My Grandpa is now 94 so cant remember the early stuff but certainly things from the 20s. In fact on the 19th or the 26th April there is a documentary on TV about the Leylands, and a guy called Leonard Reed who is 98 is being interviewed about life down there. Cant remember what channel its on tho!You are best getting maps and looking at the streets that used to be there. It wasa right rabbit warren of unhealthy and unsanitary housing. Trouble was, it was hard for jews to get work in those days as alot of firms wouldn't employ them. Barrens for example wouldnt take on Jews. So they worked in the area, and subcontracted themselves out, so indirectly they were doing alot of the work for they very factories that wouldnt let them work directly for them!This all changed though with Burtons, cant remember the exact figures, but 1000's people worked there. My Grandpa even for a stint before he was called up for WWII. LS1 may i make a suggestion?Why not sit down with your great grandparents,with a recording device of some sort,get out some busicuits,tea,gin and get them relaxed and talk about their memories,i would think that they are pretty much amongst the last people in Leeds from that area at that time.Their recollections would be invaluable to future generations of your family and the rest of us.Go on,i did it for my family history and once they get going theres no stopping em!!Also would evryone keep an eye out for this program in April,i would not want to miss it!!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

cnosni wrote: Also would evryone keep an eye out for this program in April,i would not want to miss it!!     me too.if anyone could remind us nearer the time i'd be most grateful i'm bound to forget otherwise...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

kierentc wrote: cnosni wrote: Also would evryone keep an eye out for this program in April,i would not want to miss it!!     me too.if anyone could remind us nearer the time i'd be most grateful i'm bound to forget otherwise... You'd think it would be easy to find on google p'raps? No such look.I have a distant conection through marriage with one Abraham Cohen, who was a jeweller and watch maker from The Leylands and would be interested too, maybe if we all look, we'll find the info.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Well, I can ask them if they remember names. Cnosni, I've got some stuff that I sat down with them and recorded, but I dont know when to stop!!Save taking the tape recorder round every time I go, there is so much stuff they tell me, like who was related to who, and who lived where, and what was on particular streets - even I'm going on now!I did a bit of recording from them for an Oral History project I had to do about working life in the 20's which was intersting, but hard to transcribe it all. I have to say though my Grandpa got a bit offended ;-) when I was taliking about is as he lived in Ormonde Terrace up Sackville Street way but his dad used the New Town Pic Palace which apparently only held about 70 at top capacity, and my other great grandpa worked for Glicks Lemonade place. Not sure if any one remembers it, let me know if so. Anyway, i'll shut up now!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

p.s. i'll no doubt remind you all when it's on!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

BTW, the correct name for Sheeny Park was "North Street Recreation Ground", now Lovell Park. Originally the site of the Smithfield Meat Market. Over the Road i think it's next to the TUC building was the Smithfield Hotel for use for people who visited the market there. Relatively recently restored with the Burmatoft tile frontage.Park opened in 1888.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: Well, I can ask them if they remember names. Cnosni, I've got some stuff that I sat down with them and recorded, but I dont know when to stop!!Save taking the tape recorder round every time I go, there is so much stuff they tell me, like who was related to who, and who lived where, and what was on particular streets - even I'm going on now!I did a bit of recording from them for an Oral History project I had to do about working life in the 20's which was intersting, but hard to transcribe it all. I have to say though my Grandpa got a bit offended ;-) when I was taliking about is as he lived in Ormonde Terrace up Sackville Street way but his dad used the New Town Pic Palace which apparently only held about 70 at top capacity, and my other great grandpa worked for Glicks Lemonade place. Not sure if any one remembers it, let me know if so. Anyway, i'll shut up now! The cinema is still there,it was known as the bug hutch,and is facing on to the roundabout outside the old Renault showroom.Its paited white and says KMA ltd on it,or something like that.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

That's all fascinating stuff, thanks. I had absolutely no idea that Sheeny was a derogatory term. . Apologies for any offence. The only other thing I remember about the area was an old fashioned chemist opposite the 'park' where my Aunt used to buy her Imperial Leather, which she couldn't get at the local shop.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

cnosni wrote: LS1 wrote: Well, I can ask them if they remember names. Cnosni, I've got some stuff that I sat down with them and recorded, but I dont know when to stop!!Save taking the tape recorder round every time I go, there is so much stuff they tell me, like who was related to who, and who lived where, and what was on particular streets - even I'm going on now!I did a bit of recording from them for an Oral History project I had to do about working life in the 20's which was intersting, but hard to transcribe it all. I have to say though my Grandpa got a bit offended ;-) when I was taliking about is as he lived in Ormonde Terrace up Sackville Street way but his dad used the New Town Pic Palace which apparently only held about 70 at top capacity, and my other great grandpa worked for Glicks Lemonade place. Not sure if any one remembers it, let me know if so. Anyway, i'll shut up now! The cinema is still there,it was known as the bug hutch,and is facing on to the roundabout outside the old Renault showroom.Its paited white and says KMA ltd on it,or something like that. Thanks again Leodis. I know how we all like pictures here! Centre is the picture palace and right the Jewish Workers Union building. According to the caption there were 788 seats, all 'tip-up', 588 in the stalls and 200 on the balcony. Shows how the memory can lapse!
Attachments
__TFMF_3q3x2v55nd05ww45eihbmc55_36a7523d-2fbc-480b-9262-cc8898d762a0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3q3x2v55nd05ww45eihbmc55_36a7523d-2fbc-480b-9262-cc8898d762a0_0_main.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 2037 times