Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Si wrote: When I was a lad in Pudsey, "laik" was used all the time. "Is Paul laikin' out?" for example. I don't know if "calling" has anything to do with The Calls, as it is pronounced as in Tallin, with a short "ah" sound. Some others:'ey up - various meanings, from a greeting to "look out."Now then - a greeting.Summat - something.Give over - stop it.Daft 'a'peth - Silly person (daft half penny worth.)Snicket - a ginnel. Anyone know if these are interchangeable, or are there different definitions?Nesh - feels the cold.Fair thraiped - knackered.Jiggered - ditto (or broken/damaged.)Any more?Cheers Si Agreed . " laik " and " laiking " were not confined to south of the river . My father was born in Harehills , lived all his life in the district and he and his friends would always talk about " laiking " football for example ." call " with a short " a " as in " pal " and meaning " gossip " was - at the risk of being sexist - was a term used solely by women in my experience . A group of women " calling " was a common sight ." brae " is " bray " is it not ? Young boys fighting were " braying " one another . I've always believed a " brae " is found near " yon bonny banks " . The grandmother of a friend of mine would talk about " siding " the table , meaning clearing a table of crockery and cutlery used during a meal .
roundhegian

Si

Post by Si »

Och aye, Roundhegian, you're right! You can also "bray" a nail in wi't 'ammer. I think you're right about callin', too. "Siding" - that's a good one. How's about (shades of Sir Jimmy):Deck, decko, skeg, skeggy - to have a look.'appen - maybe.Reckon - think.Beck - stream.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: When I was a lad in Pudsey, "laik" was used all the time. "Is Paul laikin' out?" for example. I don't know if "calling" has anything to do with The Calls, as it is pronounced as in Tallin, with a short "ah" sound. Could nt think of a word to demonstrate the pronunciation of "Cal-ing" but Tallin is a good one.Yes i meant this as the overall sound of the word Cal-ing as i will refer to it from now on.As i said its only a theory.I was born in Woodhose,brought up in Harehills,my parents were Leeds 9 ers and a Scotthaler,grandparents,aunts and uncles all North of the river,mainly Leeds 9.I never heard any of them use Laik or Laike,neither did i hear anyone at Brownhill,Shakespeare of Cross Green use the term.So obviuosly there are parts of North Leeds that have used Laik,where my experience of living and schooling in Leeds 9 never yielded one single use,at least from what i can remember.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Here is some examples of poor actors using some unrealistic Yorkshire terms and stereotypes.http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... en-CAFunny as chuff though,especially the last 2 lines!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

A number of years ago a few friends and myself met some lovely young ladies from london whilst on holiday in Corfu. After we got back and due to the inevitable holiday romances we decided to travel down to london to visit them. They planned a party in one of their houses and invited lots of friends round. Because we were staying at the house we all had to use the same shower and one of my friends was waiting to get in there when a "cockney" girl came out. He asked her if she had finished, (he actually said in proud Leeds dialect, "Ar we reet, or wot?") to which she gave him one of the dirtiest looks ever and stormed off. She could be heard for the rest of the night slagging the "rude northerners" off to all and sundry and to this day we still don't know what she thought he had said!! Just to add, how many people say Putsey and Bratford?

chomic

Post by chomic »

While living with a girl in Darton near Barnsley, she asked me one morning 'Is thar gunna comet?' I thought she meant a trip to an electrical appliance showroom, what she meant was 'Are you going to comb your hair'.Although only a 20 minute trip down the M1 and lived in Yorkshire all my life I only understood half of what she said. Didn't last needless to say.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: When I was a lad in Pudsey, "laik" was used all the time. "Is Paul laikin' out?" for example. I don't know if "calling" has anything to do with The Calls, as it is pronounced as in Tallin, with a short "ah" sound. Could nt think of a word to demonstrate the pronunciation of "Cal-ing" but Tallin is a good one.Yes i meant this as the overall sound of the word Cal-ing as i will refer to it from now on.As i said its only a theory.I was born in Woodhose,brought up in Harehills,my parents were Leeds 9 ers and a Scotthaler,grandparents,aunts and uncles all North of the river,mainly Leeds 9.I never heard any of them use Laik or Laike,neither did i hear anyone at Brownhill,Shakespeare of Cross Green use the term.So obviuosly there are parts of North Leeds that have used Laik,where my experience of living and schooling in Leeds 9 never yielded one single use,at least from what i can remember. Don't want to start an argument but my father went to Brownhill[the old Brownhill on Harehills Lane] and always " laiked " both football and dominos .He was born in 1914 so it could be a generational thing .One other thing - traffic lights were always " robots " pronounced" robos " .
roundhegian

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

I grew in Cottingley and we were always gonna or get chinned or nacked by other lad's from t other side of the estate.I moved up to Chaple Allerton, and no one knew what we were on about.I remember going to the shop's for some chuddy or chawag.

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

Just remembered about 'lobbing half charlies' or half mackers at each other. ( half a house brick) eee good times.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Worked in Royston (Monkton Coke and Chemical Co. what a smelly hole that was) near Barnsley in late 70s. To laik was a pit expression meaning not turning in to work for a shift, normally Mondays. Snap was food, In works canteen, cateen lass said "as ta got thi snap ticket". Comes from the tin miners took their scran in down pit to keep coyle dust art. Anyroad am barn a go hom now, al sithi.