Currie Entry

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

Well the Thoresby society have been back in touch and this is what they've had to say Thoresby Library1:06 PM (12 hours ago)to me On 27/06/2014 00:49, Jamie Howard wrote:Dear Jamie,You've intrigued us with your question about the meaning of 'Currie Entry' on John Cossins' 1725 Map if Leeds! We've checked all the sources we can think of - Ralph Thoresby himself; other contemporary maps; an article written about this and the Jefferey's map of Leeds of 1771 published by the Society in 1899 (Vol. IX p.196); and a modern very exhaustive study of the map included in the book 'Scarborough, York and Leeds: The Town Plans of John Cossins 1697-1743' by Hugh Murray, published in 1997 by the Yorkshire Architectural and York Archaeological Society (we have a copy here which you're very welcome to come to look at if you'd like to). None of these sources offer any explanation of the name 'Curry Entry'.It's possible that the name refers to a person (a Mr Currie does figure in correspondence with Ralph Thoresby apparently as some sort of agent). Or it may have a meaning related to the function of this lane - which is more or less where Duncan Street is now, we think, as the later widening of Boar Lane and Duncan Street will have changed the alignment. A similar street name in Cambridge, 'Petty Curie', apparently refers to a row of bakers' shops. Or it may relate somehow to 'currying' as in the grooming and care of horses, ie refer to stabling. However all this is pure speculation! As far as we can see, the meaning is lost.Given your interest in the map, its key, and the houses it depicts, I'm sure you would enjoy looking at the book on the Cossins Town Plans which I've mentioned above.All good wishes ,EveEve Bradford, Joint Librarian

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Have just found a book I had forgotten about in the back of my bookcases - the one referred to in the last post. As they say , it does not mention Currie entry or give any clues, but does have the interesting snippet that Atkinson's house had the feature of holes cut in doors and ceilings for the free passage of cats.I can see the idea of catflaps/holes in the doors, but in the ceilings?!!