Names of Events

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

The Dripping Riots.Does anyone know anything about the 'Dripping Riots' in Leeds in 1865?Apparently, it was common practice for cooks in large households to collect the excess dripping from the joints they roasted and sell it to earn some pin money. This was accepted by their employers as a perq.However, there was one employer, rumoured to be a doctor in Park Square who took exception to this and had his cook arrested for theft. Word of this got out and the locals rioted and had to be quelled by the local constabulary. The cook was released without charge.Could this have been Lizzie Dripping?
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Michael

Post by Michael »

I can only add that Lizzie (if it was her) was held in the Bridewell at the Town Hall.I was half listening to a radio programme, I suspect on Radio 4, a few years ago and until reading this post, I wasn't sure I had heard it correctly.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

interesting story and as google is my friend I had a look for more info but only found this "pub walks leaflet" which is more like a history lesson http://www.briju.com/Leeds_Pub_walks.pdf
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I can tell you about the "Leeds Dripping Riot" as I was the person who did the Radio 4 programme with Martin Wainwright of the Guardian, mentioned earlier in this thread.Full details can be found on pages 432-437 of volume 2 of John Mayalls "Annals of Yorkshire" published in 1874 and dealing with events in Yorkshire from the earliest history to that date.i will just give a brief summary but I recommend looking up the fascinating details.Incidentally these books are a goldmine of information and are available in scanned pdf format from various suppliers on the net.Mr Chorley was a surgeon with offices in Park Square, his I rish cook took some dripping home with her regarding it as a "perk" of the job. Chorley had been unhappy with her for some time and spoke to his friend who happened to be the chief magistrate of Leeds. he recommended charging her and the cook was duly convicted and sent to Armley which in those days (1864/1865) was for both sexes.This caused a mass outcry from the working classes with ballads, graffiti and other derogatory stuff appearing.A collection for the cook was held and when a fake announcement was put out about her release crowds flocked to Armley a week before the correct date.On being told they were wrong they went round to Chorley's house. He came out and told them he would do it afgain at which point he was pelted and his windows put in.Police were called and order restored.However a week later the cook was released early in the morning and slipped off to Scarborough. The crowds who assembled refused to believe she had gone and ugly scenes ensued. Finally convinced they went to Park Square and from there to the Town Hall where the council were sat panicking. The council sent for more police from bradford and also a squadron of cavalry from York.It was February and there was snow and ice on the streets so the crowd pelted Chorley and his house with snowballs as well as the police. A baton charge was led by the chief constable of Leeds (they led from the front in those days!) but he slipped and broke his hip, dying some weeks later from this.the police managed to clear the crowd but not before an onlooker was hit by a stone and given a fatal wound.Some people were arrested and the crowd dispersed before the cavalry were used.If the cavalry had been used we would in all likelihood know this as the Leeds equivalent of Manchesters "Peterloo" as the streets were very narrow then around the town Hall and a charge would have trampled people underfoot.This is a very condensed version and it is worth reading the events in full to get the proper sense of drama.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

been trying to find out the number of Chorleys house in Park Square.anyone know which one it was? someone asked me in respect of the "Dripping riot" and I had to confess I was unsure!R

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

found out,it was number 18 apparently.I must look tomorrow as I will be passing through the square and see if there is any official plaque on it.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Steve Jones wrote: found out,it was number 18 apparently.I must look tomorrow as I will be passing through the square and see if there is any official plaque on it. Can't see 18 anywhere on Google Street View - I also walk through the square each day - I shall do so from now on with a picture of the Dripping Riot in my imagination!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

The cook was called Mrs Eliza Staffordhttp://www.lcag.org.uk/societies/shatterproof/ ... f_1865.pdf

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Not quite on topic, but the thread got me to look out an old copy of "Lizzie Dripping" which was written by Helen Cresswell in 1973, published by the BBC and printed by John Blackburn Ltd of Leeds.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

This is absolutely fascinating. I remember the phrase "Lizzie Dripping" being used as a child and I don't think it was to do with the Helen Cresswell stories as I was about 5 when they came out.    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.