Old Leeds Districts

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Loinerpete wrote: Also the area close to elland road on the lowfields was originally called islington, another london reference you could say. Now you've mentioned it, I can remember seeing that in an old A-Z when I was a kid. That was 30 years since and the A-Z was quite old then (all the pages were yellowed with age).Even then I was fascinated with maps.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

raveydavey wrote: Loinerpete wrote: Also the area close to elland road on the lowfields was originally called islington, another london reference you could say. Now you've mentioned it, I can remember seeing that in an old A-Z when I was a kid. That was 30 years since and the A-Z was quite old then (all the pages were yellowed with age).Even then I was fascinated with maps. i have always been facinated with maps,ever since i found a street atlas called 'leeds street by street',with an orange cover.i loved it because it had my old street in it that was ripped down in the early 70s
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

stevief

Post by stevief »

Martyn wrote: There's an area of Leeds called 'Steander' it's between East Street and Marsh Lane where the timber merchants used to be and where the new apartments are being built. The name is a Norse word that means 'A stoney place'. We can probably figure out how that area got named but there are a few that I can't figure out.'Bank' just to the north of East Street where the railway line is. The nearest street is Railway Street.'Islington' just next to Elland Road football ground.'Potternewton' OK, newton is New Town, where's the potter?'Little London'. What was it about this area that reminded people of London?Any ideas? If ever you're in Whitelocks yard,near the top bar,there's a manhole cover made at 'Steander Iron Foundry,East Street,Leeds'.Rikj saysthere are others around the city centre.

mayslass

Post by mayslass »

Hello I am new to the site but thought I might offer a small contribution.Little London ( North Street End) of Leeds was indeed where the immigrants from London and other large Cities around the UK seemed to congregate. In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits.Jewish Bakeries, Clothing, shoe shops, Jewellers etc etc. It was wonderful, really buzzing you could buy almost anything on North Street, even get your eyes tested. As these properties were demolished the population of these dwellings and shops moved higher up the road to Roundhay Road and into Chapeltown, Chapel Allerton and Moortown. This side of town is still highly populated with immigrants today so the trend goes on..................Just saying that's all

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

mayslass wrote: In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits. Here's a good photo of North Street that might jog your memory maylass. Full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/q2pebmkAs mentioned above, the area just below North street was called Newton. That's another old district of Leeds that just seemed to disappear.     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

Part of Rawdon is known as Little London too - not sure why, and it couldn't be much more different from the other Little London!

mayslass

Post by mayslass »

Phill_dvsn wrote: mayslass wrote: In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits. Here's a good photo of North Street that might jog your memory maylass. Full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/q2pebmkAs mentioned above, the area just below North street was called Newton. That's another old district of Leeds that just seemed to disappear.      Thanks Phil, you're ace. I only remember North Street from the 60's as I had to go there with my work. The map doesn't really ring any bells! But You are right about Newton, I think it became Potternewton ( as there is a park up the top end of Harehills lane called by the same name now. Potternewton has been swallowed up by Chapel Allerton.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Glad to help Maylass.As it happens North Street pops up regular on Secret Leeds.LS1 Lee is our North Street expert lol Here's one previous thread about North Streethttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=3019    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Double post!    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

mayslass wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: mayslass wrote: In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits. Here's a good photo of North Street that might jog your memory maylass. Full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/q2pebmkAs mentioned above, the area just below North street was called Newton. That's another old district of Leeds that just seemed to disappear.      Thanks Phil, you're ace. I only remember North Street from the 60's as I had to go there with my work. The map doesn't really ring any bells! But You are right about Newton, I think it became Potternewton ( as there is a park up the top end of Harehills lane called by the same name now. Potternewton has been swallowed up by Chapel Allerton. Such photos are fascinating to see how an area has changed, such as the parade of shops at the North Street/Vicar Lane junction area that were demolished for the Inner Ring Road.I am wondering what were the 'shedlike' buildings above Lovell Park? Apologies if this has been asked before somewhere on SL but it is hard to search if you do not know the name of what to search for!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.