Old Leeds Districts

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hi Leo.From my research earlier the shed like buildings were Army Nissen huts. That land was marked as a military drill ground as far back as 1891 on old maps. By 1931 it appears as Gibraltar Barracks (Territorial) The drill hall can be seen at the top of the field.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that Phill. Much appreciated.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

NST

Post by NST »

Phill_dvsn wrote: mayslass wrote: In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits. Here's a good photo of North Street that might jog your memory maylass. Full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/q2pebmkAs mentioned above, the area just below North street was called Newton. That's another old district of Leeds that just seemed to disappear.      Phill, this photograph is just wonderful! My great grandparents lived at number 8 Grafton Street, just to the right of Lovell Park - you can just see the top of it in the photograph.Is this the original photograph do you know or has it been cropped? Would be magic if I could find an ariel photo like this including all of Grafton Street so I can show my Nana, she would be thrilled!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

NST wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: mayslass wrote: In fact up until the late 1960's North Street was full of small shops, with living quarters attached either above or behind. Many Jewish immigrants settled there and ran their businesses there. Small Bespoke tailors, making made to measure suits. Here's a good photo of North Street that might jog your memory maylass. Full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/q2pebmkAs mentioned above, the area just below North street was called Newton. That's another old district of Leeds that just seemed to disappear.      Phill, this photograph is just wonderful! My great grandparents lived at number 8 Grafton Street, just to the right of Lovell Park - you can just see the top of it in the photograph.Is this the original photograph do you know or has it been cropped? Would be magic if I could find an ariel photo like this including all of Grafton Street so I can show my Nana, she would be thrilled! Hi NST - try clicking on the Flickr link in Phill's signature. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to find the original images from there.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

p

Re: Old Leeds Districts

Post by p »

Here are 2 areas of Leeds what must have dissappeared, Knowsthorpe and Knostrop, nowadays people refer to anything in these former areas as being in Cross Green or the Aire Valley.

p

Re: Old Leeds Districts

Post by p »

Now here is another area I've heard of in the past, but not so of late so it could be another one of those areas what now come under the bigger neighbours. Anyone heard of New Scarborough? I believe this to be a small area of housing behind West Side Retail Park/Morrisons Petrol Station more or less between Yeadon and Guiseley off the A65. I've only seen one road sign in Yeadon on the High Street roundabout directing traffic to New Scarborough.