Gruesome Tales & Discoveries

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
scottishmagic

Post by scottishmagic »

Hi, just joined, ex Leeds (Horsforth) girl. Was spending some time searching the internet on my day off, and like most, can get side tracked into all sorts, when I came across a folklore name 'Barguest' - this sparked memory's for the past. Living in Horsforth, pre 1986 at my parents somewhat old house on Brownberrie Lane, I awoke one night and lay in bed wondering what had brought me from sleep....I looked up and looking down at me was a huge black dog, dripping slavia red eyes, looking down at me with positive death and sheer hate...I couldnt move, I froze and then managed to hide under the covers of my bed. This terrified me so much it was unbelievable. At some stage I got out of bed and shot across the landing into my parents room. I was so sacred, I slept in the nude and arrived in my parents room in the same state..my father new something awful was wrong at this stage since I shook un-controllably...he turned on all the lights inside and outside the house, turned over the entire house searching, since I couldnt explain....after some time,they assumed that it was a bad dream. I moved out of the bedroom into a smaller one for many months. My parents made jokes of my ghost, and had assumed that it was a human nature...to this day, although my father passed away in 1988, I could never bring myself to say, that it was actually a black dog. I never got over this and never forgot it, it stays with me now.... I searched the internet and tried to find any records of bad/sad/traggic things in that area, but never found anything..... I am not given to the belief of ghosts...but this was pure evil...

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

greetings scottishmagic and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of secret leeds
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

then there was the stephen olawale case in the late 60s
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

tales of huge slobbering black dogs really do abound in england,some of them go back to celtic times,and they have the same red eyes and smell....was there a smell,can you remember??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Sir_Zonneveld

Post by Sir_Zonneveld »

Speaking of these apparent large dogs,I was in the fox and newt Christmas Eve 2002 my girlfriend at the time was working behind the bar and two Lads were stood outside the bar waiting for a taxi when one all of a sudden one shouted "F**k me thats one big dog" and then all of a sudden the pair shot back in through the door,The manager quite [edited for content] off with the noise told the pair to [edited for content] about outside"Not with that Big [edited for content] dog out there" they were so freaked out they waited inside the pub staring out of the window for this "apparent" dog when the taxi came they both egged each other to go first then shot in the taxi,Just as they left myself and the manager went to have a look...No dog...my other half at the time told me that rarely drinkers would see big scruffy mean looking dogs....to me either the two lads were highly intoxicated or had been on the old Morrocan Woodbines,I've been in that area alot and not seen a thing. Apologies if this doesn't belong here

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Sgt. Washbourne wrote: Unsure where to place this this thread, but here goes.After hearing on the grapevine of some gruesome activities within Leeds, from body parts found in woodland to an untimely demise discovered in a church yard...thought it would make a chilling thread. So if you have your own tales of shock, ore & gore...then feel free to share the word. I think the first one you mention was fairly recent.it happened in some allotmemts(now abandoned) off meanwood road
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

scottishmagic wrote: Hi, just joined, ex Leeds (Horsforth) girl. Was spending some time searching the internet on my day off, and like most, can get side tracked into all sorts, when I came across a folklore name 'Barguest' - this sparked memory's for the past. ... Leeds has a long and colourful history of Black Dogs or Barguests.They were usually referred to as 'Padfoot' in Leeds though. Bob Trubshaw's excellent book 'Explore Black Dogs' relates that a man called Nichols, writing in 1828, said :-'Leeds has it's distinct Padfoots, distinguishable one from another (as I am told), for almost every street'.That's a lot of phantom Black Dogs for one town! There was even a reported sighting last year, in a park somewhere in Leeds (Armley area I think).Another name for them is 'Gytrash', used mainly around the South Pennine area. Although one was reported near Hawksworth by that name.CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

GarforthLad

Post by GarforthLad »

Right, I'm wondering if any of you have heard of this tale or whether it's just a load of old tosh. When we were kids, we used to mess around in Parlington Woods (between Garforth/Aberford and Barwick) and just off Barwick road where it narrows to one lane we found a rope swing over the little stream which runs through the woods. However just next to the rope swing was a gravestone and some stones laid in a rectangular grave shape in a large hedge, which as I remember had the name of Christopher Robin on it (not the lad from Winnie the Pooh). Well my mates Dad at the time said this lad was murdered in the 50's or 60's or something when he got caught up in a load of gang related stuff, but as Garforth is not Brighton I never quite believed him. Anyone heard of this? I'm pretty sure the grave should still be there as well. It seems a pretty weird place to bury someone.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

GarforthLad wrote: Right, I'm wondering if any of you have heard of this tale or whether it's just a load of old tosh. When we were kids, we used to mess around in Parlington Woods (between Garforth/Aberford and Barwick) and just off Barwick road where it narrows to one lane we found a rope swing over the little stream which runs through the woods. However just next to the rope swing was a gravestone and some stones laid in a rectangular grave shape in a large hedge, which as I remember had the name of Christopher Robin on it (not the lad from Winnie the Pooh). Well my mates Dad at the time said this lad was murdered in the 50's or 60's or something when he got caught up in a load of gang related stuff, but as Garforth is not Brighton I never quite believed him. Anyone heard of this? I'm pretty sure the grave should still be there as well. It seems a pretty weird place to bury someone. Hi, Garforth Lad, (I too am a Gaforth Lad). About 25-30 years ago there used to be a set of offices behind the current tesco store which belonged to a company called Lyndsay Parkinson which became fairclough homes and then eventually Amec. the offices were pulled down and there are houses on there now. My mother used to clean the fairclough offices and one day all hell broke loose with police etc on site. next thing a load of hoardings went up and the police began excavating the lawn infront of the offices. Bodies were found, im not sure how many but i think 2. Ill check the full story with my ma but i believe that Christopher Robin became involved with a chapter of hells angels and was somehow involved in the murder(s), which i seem to remember invloving a golf club (yuk). I i believe he was one of the victims and that he lived near us and once when he was young he ran away and my ma found him and took him home! i think the police also carried out some excavations in parlington so its possible that a body was found there and the stone you saw was a memorial rather than a grave?will post the facts when i have finished questioning mother.     

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I remember hearing a story in the mid 60's of a mummyfied baby being found in an attic room of a house in the Hopes. I think it was the end house of the row that backed onto Armley Park school. It was apparentley found after the peeps living there had done a 'moonlight flit'. The story went that the daughter had given birth to dead baby at home and the baby's gran had wrapped it in a blanket and put it in the attic. I think the baby had been left in the attic for about 5/6 years before it was found. Anyone remember this?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.