Railway photo help please.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No absolutely not! I love controversy :-0 i was so adamant because i'd always presumed Geldered road was on the other side of the ralway bridge & the station entrance was actually on Wellington street (missed it by about 20') looking at the map & my sparring partner Drapsey mentioned the round foundry so i thought he was talking way down south in good old Holbeck! Anyway i guessed it was the correct location 2weeks earlier but then changed my mind as there was not a hint of any shadow from the gas works siding bridge that was directly above! That still puzzles me!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

rikj

Post by rikj »

Just for those who are interested, this is a schematic of Holbeck High and Low Level Stations. Shamelessly robbed from "Railways of Morley & South Leeds" by A.J.Haigh. No ISBN to quote that I can see, but available from the Central Library (when I've stopped renewing it). Ignore the Drighlington title, that refers to something else on the page.Shows the various entrances and subway layouts. Maybe a bit easier to understand than the 1908 map.
Attachments
__TFMF_gk4odn45rfwjsd55b5evov45_7b399091-83f8-418a-bb71-12caecafe75f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gk4odn45rfwjsd55b5evov45_7b399091-83f8-418a-bb71-12caecafe75f_0_main.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Pretty dam good detail that. Great stuff!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d, remember that photo of the brick wall I posted about a tunnel leading to the staion. Looking at the map it is the "access to staion" on the far left, as you look at the plan.But then you probably know that already
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Sorry but i'm completly lost! i've read this whole thread but i'm still not sure where this is! near Armley Gyratory, Right?
Love a Landrover

LS1

Post by LS1 »

rangieowner wrote: Sorry but i'm completly lost! i've read this whole thread but i'm still not sure where this is! near Armley Gyratory, Right? Thats the place!

simonm

Post by simonm »

rangieowner wrote: Sorry but i'm completly lost! i've read this whole thread but i'm still not sure where this is! near Armley Gyratory, Right? Aye. If you were to stop under the bridge just before the gyratory there is bricked up section between the bridges. It looks liek a giant step. This was the easterly access to the station. As your on the gyratory, keeping in far left lane, towards Elland road, you pass a newly (well failry new) section of red brick. That was the westerly access to the station! Hope that helps a bit? Edit to add a crap alteration of the above plan. The large blue line is roughly where the gyratory is now a days.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Is it me or were the entrances extrememly narrow? I know that we now think of stations as open plan, and they wouldnt have needed vehicle access back then, but imagine lugging a big old trunk up the stairs to get tothe station!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

It was bad enough lugging my kitbag 'Down' those steps into the Talavera/Tunnel, coming home on leave! Went back via City Stationas the line was cleared by then!Great new details of the location in question!Thanks lads!Arry Awk

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I've added a pic to my station entrance shot how the ramp used to looked for a comparison to my 2006 pic here http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/276151604/ Yes it looks pretty narrow & bleak too!