Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

While I was there I had a chat with a nice chap who was part of the construction crew.As we were chatting the 'raft' seemed to have 4 corners? and was raising and lowering. This is a different ball game to the on-land cementation piling drill thing I watched when uncovering then recovering Bradford beck early 90's. I struggle to understand how it works but guess it's routine.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo today (June 19 2014). It shows more of the foundation supports (?) have been put there since the photo I took on June 4. While I was taking the photo today the red shaft-like feature was pounding down on another support, no doubt pushing it deeper into position below the river bed.    
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Leodian wrote: I took this photo today (June 19 2014). It shows more of the foundation supports (?) have been put there since the photo I took on June 4. While I was taking the photo today the red shaft-like feature was pounding down on another support, no doubt pushing it deeper into position below the river bed.     Keep up the reports Leodian.Just wondering, do you plan a day out taking pics or do you just go as the fancy takes you?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya cnosni. I'm usually in the centre of Leeds a couple or so times a week and as I often take my camera with me I just go to wherever I think of. Nothing is pre-planned. The working site by the way has a very tall crane that I've not been able to get into one shot. It really is high. I wonder if the weather is different at the top compared to the bottom! There is work going on near the Old Red Lion pub area on Meadow Lane but with all of the hoardings around the working site I have not been able to determine what is going on. It may, or may not, be related to the River Aire. I wonder if it has some connection with the southern entrance even though it is not at the same site as that work.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: There is work going on near the Old Red Lion pub area on Meadow Lane but with all of the hoardings around the working site I have not been able to determine what is going on. It may, or may not, be related to the River Aire. I wonder if it has some connection with the southern entrance even though it is not at the same site as that work. You may have missed it or forgotten you have seen it but it has been mentioned on at least one SL thread. Its the land based drop off point and holding area for materials/equipment being used for the Southern Entrance. Its then floated up the river on a barge. There wasn't a holding area large enough which also had good road access at the site itself.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

There’s another site at the side of South Accommodation Road bridge that has a large amount of building materials in heavy bulk bags next to the river is this another storage site for the new entrance?
Hunslet born and bread

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

You can see from the picture where the pile supports, currently being placed, are.
Attachments
southern entrance.JPG
southern entrance.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 2253 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that PC - Dublin. The view from/into the apartments may be interesting or a cause for concern!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo today (July 2 2014). The work 'boats' have gone.While I was there I noticed quite a number of fish (all several inches long) just inside the arch to the left and also in the just out of shot narrow arch to the left. The water level did seem lower than normal and the blocks over which the River Aire runs were clearly visible.
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (116.66 KiB) Viewed 2255 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: The view from/into the apartments may be interesting or a cause for concern! I'm afraid that if I was the owner/tenant of one of the nearby apartments I'd take a very dim view of this monstrosity. I don't always approve of Prince Charles's "over the top" lectures, but surely his famous "carbunkles" comment fits the bill here. There can be no denying that a southern station entrance is urgently needed, but this futuristic space age structure is totally incongruous with the area, which is a shame because much of this part of Holbeck has been very tastefully redeveloped indeed.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.