Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: There is a report in this mornings YEP, stating that the southern entrance has secured most of the funding required.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 986.jpFrom a personal point of view, if that sort of money is available for rail infrastructure, the proposed stations at Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge should take priority for the benefits they'd deliver, but these things don't work like that, do they?The same story also reports that the infamous trolleybus scheme represents very poor value for money, so lets see how much Metro continue to throw at that idea now it's been holed beneath the water... Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge are essential stations that would reduce the amount of traffic comimg into Leeds.Why on earth would a set of desk jockeys in the south wish to improve our lot up here when they can spend £1.4bn (yes billion) on one station alone in the capital for cross rail.Why not have a look at what they are spending on Kings Cross station,phase 1 and 2 have been budgeted at £810m.That is one train station,not a city of 750,000.Shafted againPS- the suvners arent even grateful,its their right apparently because they pay so much in taxes.Sorry but the last time i looked the tax brackets were the same throughout the country for all tax payers.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Roundhayman

Post by Roundhayman »

[quotenick="cnosni"] raveydavey wrote: There is a report in this mornings YEP, stating that the southern entrance has secured most of the funding required.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6711986.jp Just to clarify the latest situation.The southern entrance now (early Feb 11) has the formal go-ahead, it's not a Metro scheme per se, but the government has now allocated the bulk of the funding, the rest does indeed come via the PTE.Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge stations are in another pool of nationwide projects, where there is £630m is available for some £950m of proposals. The decision on these will be made by the end of the year - in essence this government has stopped a process the previous govt had, under which these projects were all but read to go. Also in this pot is the trolley bus scheme but not East Leeds Parkway which is "lost" at least for the next few years.There were plans for extra platforms at Leeds, but a No.18 is impracticable, and one to the north of No.1 does not solve the problem. The currently favoured solution is to join 10 and 13 (I think, the two bays), and also run more services from the west thru Leeds to Garforth, and then turn them back where ELP will one day be built.HTHR'man.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

There is scaffolding up behind the stairs down to platform 16 and indirectly 17. Surely this is too early to be preparatory work for the entrance? Also to go off topic slightly. On a later train than normal tonight, I noticed the new and empty predominantly glass building on Whitehall Road still had all its lights on. Presumably a ploy to draw the attention of potential occupiers has anybody noticed if its a 24 hour thing? If so I wouldn't want to be paying the leccy bill or justifying it to the climate change activists.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I think an interchange with the bus station and far more suburban stations are essential. We don't need trolley buses or trams we need to go back to trains serving the suburbs, the suburbs where people who work in the city live. Too much is made of providing fancy travel facilities for the more deprived areas. I don't see the need they are all well served by buses already as they tend to be closer to town and other services funnell through their main artierial roads.People drive from the suburbs because it's £5 a day to get the chuffing bus. They need a solution that means they can walk tot he train at both ends not own a car solely for the purpose of getting to the trolley bus stop. Look at the average commute in London, they don't use a car usually, they live withing walking distance of train stations.There I've solved the problem, anyone got anything else for me to solve before I have me butties?    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

To be fair the Metro in Manchester is really a glorified train system. It makes use of a lot of the old rail infrastructure that was axed years ago. We dont have access to the old rail infrastructure in Leeds as it has mainly all been built over, and most of is never serviced the northern part of the city.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

LS1 wrote: To be fair the Metro in Manchester is really a glorified train system. It makes use of a lot of the old rail infrastructure that was axed years ago. We dont have access to the old rail infrastructure in Leeds as it has mainly all been built over, and most of is never serviced the northern part of the city. They can be driven in by their Chaufeurs then. In a nutshell my argument is that I want a train station in Rothwell. It may or may not be a stuituation replicated around other suburbs but Rothwell is a large suburb with one bus service, it's totally inadequate.There was a passenger service but it lasted 9 months in 1904. Surrounding suburbs have much better links, Garforth, Cross Gates, Woodlesford, Outwood, Morley. Just needs a spur off the main lies in Hunslet, plenty or farm land, infact unbroken green from the sitte of the old Station up past Wakefield Road, down through bottom of Bell Isle and into Stourton.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

I partly agree with RP on this. The south side of the city is badly served despite having plenty of lines. However putting more stations on the existing lines would slow services up and of course need us to have more train carriages.As for Rothwell, we'd be better promoting that as a possible destination for what I'd term "Leeds Tram 3" to concentrate on south of the river. After all, it's nearer London I suppose, and serves former mining areas. Leave Headingley out of it this time, just go for improvements out to Horsforth.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

Time to resurrect this thread maybe. Last week I saw a post from someone asking about work starting on the Leeds Station Southern Entrance. I have looked for it again but cannot find it.Anyway....The new entrance to Leeds railway station serving the south part of the City is gearing up to start an intense 62 week construction programme. Before the Christmas break site compounds were set up on Little Neville Street and Water Lane and in the next few weeks a tower crane will be erected in Little Neville Street (behind the Hilton Hotel and next to the nearby Blue Apartments) and site offices will be set up in two of the railway arches.Pontoons are now being barged into placed in the river by the station arches to provide a platform from which pilling and foundation works can take place over the next few months. Due to the access constraints to the construction site, materials will be brought in by road to a site compound on Water Lane and loaded onto barges which will travel up the river to the pontoon site.Pedestrian access will be maintained under the station (Dark Neville Street) to Granary Wharf throughout construction of the new entrance and the rail station will operate as usual. Anyone wanting to see construction taking place will be able to watch from the river banks or local restaurants and bars. So, there should be plenty of opportunity for us "gawpers" and photographers. I also hear that a time lapse camera is being set up that can be accessed over t'net by us great unwashed although details are sketchy.
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya shutthatdoor. "Last week I saw a post from someone asking about work starting on the Leeds Station Southern Entrance. I have looked for it again but cannot find it" will probably be the post of mine on January 29 2014 on page 7 of the 'Tunnels under City Station' thread:- http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... essage=150
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

Thanks for the missing link Leodian, knew I wasn't dreaming. Will have to start writing stuff down.Cat foodMint ImperialsQuarter of potted beefLarge LoafSecret Leeds
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'