Transport Books and Magazine with local interest

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I have recently come across some books and articles which may be of interest to other readers.The first is: Railway Centres No1 Leeds Central published by Xpress Publishing at £13.95This gives " Full details of a typical 1957 day's working" including a local working timetable, engine & carriage diagrams and locomotive allocations.....written by Railway ProfessionalsNo2 : West Riding Steam Pictorial No 20 in the Railway Memories Series, published by Bellcode Books at £13.95.Lots of previously unpublished photographs mostly by Robert AndersonThe Magazine is "Back Track" Volume 23 No1 the January 2009 edition,priced £3.60.This includes a very interesting article with several photographs on "The Wetherby Branches"(the lines to Church Fenton, Harrogate & Leeds). These have been the subject of much discussion under the Transport HeadingFinally a recent publication by the Barwick in Elmet Historical Society called "Photographs of the Parish of Barwick in Elmet in Bygone Days" contains, amongst other interesting photographs of local life, two shots of Scholes Station. This book is available at £6 plus p&p from the Society and can be ordered via its website barwickinelmethistoricalsociety.com following the links and will be of interest to anybody with connections to Barwick,Scholes and Stanks also parts of Roundhay & Red Hall

spongebob

Post by spongebob »

I was going to post a reply about the article in back track magazine in the thread on the Thorpe Arch railway system as it gets a mention. There's certainly been a lot of material about the railways around Leeds printed over the years.I think I have the west Riding book in my amazon wishlist but I don't recall seeing the other book on there yet.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I recently borrowed the Leeds Central 1957 book,found it a bit lacking regards photos and general info.There is mention of the 'gentlemen controllers of Wakefield'who oversaw the book but 1957 -52 years ago is a long time.I got summer relief job in the sixties and few of the staff are stiil alive.I was speaking to a former Deputy Chief Controller(the shift gaffer)he worked in Leeds Central Control until its closure and transfer to Wakefield in 1957 and he was unable to shed any light on the likely contributors.Talking of Robert Anderson,ace railway photographer AND a gentleman(you owe me a pint-Bob at the Interchange)
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.