Anyone Know of Geordie, of Yorkshire Traction?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

One of my favourite people as a kid was my godfather, 'Uncle' Geordie. He was always 'uncle' to us, and as he died when I was a kid I don;t know his surname.He worked as a mechanic at Yorkshire Traction and he was a really popular man - everyone knew him. I think he'd been in WW1 with my grandad as he started off as grandad's friend, then dad's. When he died (late 1960s? 1970?) dad said literally coachloads went from Yorkshire Traction to his funeral. Not long after that, my mum died and our lives changed a lot so we lost contact with Geordie's family but we had been very close to them. But I often think of him - seeing him was always the highlight of my week.As there are some 'bus' folk on here, I'd love to know if anyone remembers a Geordie, from Yorkshire Traction?

simong

Post by simong »

TenDaysaLoiner wrote: One of my favourite people as a kid was my godfather, 'Uncle' Geordie. He was always 'uncle' to us, and as he died when I was a kid I don;t know his surname.He worked as a mechanic at Yorkshire Traction and he was a really popular man - everyone knew him. I think he'd been in WW1 with my grandad as he started off as grandad's friend, then dad's. When he died (late 1960s? 1970?) dad said literally coachloads went from Yorkshire Traction to his funeral. Not long after that, my mum died and our lives changed a lot so we lost contact with Geordie's family but we had been very close to them. But I often think of him - seeing him was always the highlight of my week.As there are some 'bus' folk on here, I'd love to know if anyone remembers a Geordie, from Yorkshire Traction? Tracky were based in Barnsley and didn't have that much of a presence in Leeds, probably just a couple of inter-urban services. Not to say that bus people won't remember him but it's easy to forget how localised bus services were up until about 20 years ago.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I have some friends in Barnsley, and Sheila was a conductress on "Tracky" many years ago.    I've sent her a message asking if by chance she remembers Uncle Geordie and will let you know when I get a reply - I suppose its a long shot, but worth a try.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

Aw taThat's kind of you!