1916 Zeppelin raid on Harewood House

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

I couldn't really decide which forum to stick this one on, so I thought I'd go for transport.Does anyone have any info on the 1916 Zeppelin raid of September 25-26? According to a few accounts I've read the Zeppelin L14 dropped some incendiary bombs in the grounds of Harewood House whilst on a raid of Yorkshire. Apparently the Zeppelin had been found by searchlights and instead of continuing on to bomb Leeds, decided to ditch its cargo and head for the North Sea. I'd love to know the exact position where these bombs were dropped, so I could find it. I'm not expecting scorch marks in the grass or anything, but this is a great piece of Leeds history which deserves to be remembered.This is the closest any First World War air raid got to bombing Leeds, so I'd have thought there'd be a few accounts kicking around. So far I've found one mention in a book and a few scraps of information on the internet.

neophyte2007

Post by neophyte2007 »

Ro-ManI have plenty of information on this incident which I am thinking of making into a booklet or something. I had visited Harewood and talked to the Curatorial staff there.When time allows I will get the information published and let people on here know how to get itAndrew

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Great, thanks for replying. I'll look forward to reading about it.

munki

Post by munki »

This is brilliant! I have done some digging via the staff at Harewood (many thanks!).This is an x-ray of the unexploded bomb that landed on Harewood! Reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the Harewood House Trust.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

munki

Post by munki »

Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Great picture Munki - thanks for finding this.I wonder who volunteered to lift that onto the X-Ray table?!