old plane

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

anyone know what kind of old plane ,flew over bramley yesterday (thursday) and teatime tonight (friday)its painted like a ww11 bomber,with british markings on it.it must have come from leeds / bradford as it was really low.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Don't know what type of plane it was mate,but I heard Jet2 out of LBA were having to cut back on operating costs to Spain
"always expect the unexpected"

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

good one leeds lad very funny

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I saw a DC3 Dakota last week! could have been that! that was painted in military colours!
Love a Landrover

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yes I also saw the plane on Thursday night, it seemed to be a silvery sort of colour and had two propellers plus it made more racket than the more modern prop planes. It did look like a vintage Dakota type shape but I am no expert on models of aircraft. Where I live in West Park is directly on the flight path for planes taking off and landing from Yeadon airport so the plane was pretty low, it banked steeply over to the right over Clayton Woods as it lined up to land on the runway. I read somewhere you could pay to go on a pleasure flight on this vintage plane so maybe it has been at Yeadon airport for this purpose. Remember when Concorde used to do the odd pleasure flights from LBA, I remember seeing it for two years when I first moved into my flats as it came right overhead when it was coming in to land. You knew it was Concorde even before you saw it coming as the noise was very loud and distinctive. I think it was in the month of March that they did the annual excursions from LBA. Passengers paid hundreds of pounds just to go on a round trip flight and have the Concorde experience although I am sure I read in the YEP that it did not fly over the speed of sound on these round trip pleasure flights. Alas since its withdrawal from service its unlikely that this mighty bird will be seen in our skies again.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Usually, during the visit of Concorde there was a Dakota doing pleasure flights as well, for the folk who couldn't afford Concorde! As i understood it Concorde would fly south fron LBA sub-sonic towards That London and build up speed down the river for a supersonic return north over the north sea! That's what I heard, it may be wrong!
Love a Landrover

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Yes it was a Dakota on it's last passengercarrying flight. (£99. per head!). A much reveredaircraft.There is an article in tonight's Evening Postwith a full description of the flight and an interviewwith the crew. Apparently the authorities won't givethese Daks clearance to carry(paying) passengers any more.I had two flights in Daks in my 8 years RAFservice. Only as a passenger!(Saved £99?) First time wasfrom Fayid in Egypt to Habbaniya in Iraq in1949, This flight was in an old WW2 transport,painted khaki with D Day white stripes underthe wings! We sat along each side on canvas tip-upseats and no seatbelts!Nextime, was coming home from Iraq and what a difference!A chartered civvyDak with plush seats and coffee servedby a stewardess! we stopped at Cyprus, Malta,El Ademand Marseilles for refuelling. The trip took 2 days includingstopovers! I'm glad we didn't have to travel in the oldwarhorse that we went from Egypt to Iraq in!    

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Yes 'Arry I thought I'd heard about that about the 'Daks' What a shame! Back to the old Airshow duties then!
Love a Landrover