kitchens buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

UNO HOO WROTE :-"I must say that the bit about single rear wheels came from my now-deceased brother-in-law, who was a solicitor, not a busman, but knew the importance of facts, and indeed was a mine of information, so I'm pretty confident he would be right. His brother (still extant) had every issue of "Buses Illustrated" and its successors from Issue 1 in 1949, and indeed lent them to me in about 1972. It's quite likely that he's kept them up over the years. I'll see if I can catch up with him and check.".........................................................................................................The plot thickens re the single rear wheels on the Atkinsons and a debate still exists. Study of photos of the Atkinsons in service with Ledgard clearly shows normal double rear wheels. A friend of mine who was a vehicle examiner tells me that there is very little likelihood of single wheels in postwar times, so what are we to think I wonder ??I too have every issue of "Buses Illustrated" and in the February 1968 issue appears my article about the end of Samuel Ledgard. I only wrote to Ian Allan to remind them of the imminent sale of the Firm and that they should commission an article - to my shock I received an immediate reply saying "hurry up and get it written." Nothing could have been further from my mind when I wrote to them but when I read the reply I thought "Why not ??" and went ahead with it.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

BLAKEY wrote: UNO HOO WROTE :-"I must say that the bit about single rear wheels came from my now-deceased brother-in-law, who was a solicitor, not a busman, but knew the importance of facts, and indeed was a mine of information, so I'm pretty confident he would be right. His brother (still extant) had every issue of "Buses Illustrated" and its successors from Issue 1 in 1949, and indeed lent them to me in about 1972. It's quite likely that he's kept them up over the years. I'll see if I can catch up with him and check.".........................................................................................................The plot thickens re the single rear wheels on the Atkinsons and a debate still exists. Study of photos of the Atkinsons in service with Ledgard clearly shows normal double rear wheels. A friend of mine who was a vehicle examiner tells me that there is very little likelihood of single wheels in postwar times, so what are we to think I wonder ??I too have every issue of "Buses Illustrated" and in the February 1968 issue appears my article about the end of Samuel Ledgard. I only wrote to Ian Allan to remind them of the imminent sale of the Firm and that they should commission an article - to my shock I received an immediate reply saying "hurry up and get it written." Nothing could have been further from my mind when I wrote to them but when I read the reply I thought "Why not ??" and went ahead with it.    
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

H'mmmm. The stuff about the rear wheels is interesting. Glad you did your article for "Buses". I have to put my hand up and say that while I would have read it, I couldn't remember its content, but it was reproduced in full in "Ledgard Chat" last year, and a good read.UH
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: No worry Trojan, but it will be appreciated "as and when." Thank you and, on the subject of mislaying things, I am paying the price here for not keeping things in order and my collections have got into awful arrears with not keeping on top of it - in my case a classic case of "a stitch in time WOULD have saved nine." !! Found it!
Attachments
__TFMF_heybim45de5t4aeophdbx555_1c2c2426-4b3e-4d6a-ad93-87301eb27acd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_heybim45de5t4aeophdbx555_1c2c2426-4b3e-4d6a-ad93-87301eb27acd_0_main.jpg (209.84 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hi TrojanThanks for the piccie!The bus is indeed a "Queen Mary", and one of the later ones as its upper desk front windows are the same type as fitted to the front-entrance Atlanteans bodied by Northern Counties (NCME) of Blackburn.Your post sent me searching through my copy of "The Leyland Bus" by David Jack. On p.327 there's a pic of one in Southdown livery, albeit with the older style upper front windows. This bus was delivered in 1965, so yours would date, I would estimate, from the later 1960s, a period when many front-engined buses were still being supplied alongside the later Atlanteans. Many operators distrusted the new-fangled rear-engined devices until their hands were forced by the Government's "Bus Grants" which effectively killed off the traditional buses, many being scrapped well before their sell-by dates because they could not easily be adapted for driver-only operation.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Hi TrojanThanks for the piccie!The bus is indeed a "Queen Mary", and one of the later ones as its upper desk front windows are the same type as fitted to the front-entrance Atlanteans bodied by Northern Counties (NCME) of Blackburn. It was an "E" reg I think which would put it as 19876/7
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Trojan wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Hi TrojanThanks for the piccie!The bus is indeed a "Queen Mary", and one of the later ones as its upper desk front windows are the same type as fitted to the front-entrance Atlanteans bodied by Northern Counties (NCME) of Blackburn. It was an "E" reg I think which would put it as 19876/7 I think you mean 1966/7 (or were you keeping a lot of options open?).