Oldest Roads

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
LS1

Post by LS1 »

simon2710 wrote: Martyn wrote: There was a Roman Garrison somwhere towards Moortown. The path in Meanwood Woods that starts at the end of Green Road and goes up to the ring road was a Roman 'Harrigate' or soldiers path. I reckon that this could have joined up with what is now Adel Lane at the ring road and Adel Lane continues up to join the end of Farrar Lane.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 29&t=hHave a look at;http://www.arch.wyjs.org.uk/AdvSrv/inde ... /leeds.htm....... Yeh a road in Moortown goes all the way back to the Roman era. It's called Street Lane if anyone knows it and runs all the way up to soldiers fields at roundhay. Note how the street is pretty much straight in most parts for the horse and carts. I was always under the impression from old maps that Street Lane originally ended roughly where Park Lane is now, and Prince's Avenue was built after Roundhay Park was opened, and so called because Prince Arthur opened it in 1872. Often misquoted as "Princess Avenue"!Not ever seen it as marked as a Roman Road though, although there is Roman Avenue that stretched through to the Ring Road, and once used to continue right up what is now Birchwood Hill, and end at Shadwell Lane.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Ian R P wrote: Of course there's Long Causeway at Adel. That has s Roman pathway on it (not strictly a road tho). Roman Ridge Road definately follows the course of the old great north road from Cas to probably Tadcaster.I had also before heard that Street Lane was Roman. Although not as far back as those, Briggate would be the oldest street in the city centre, going back to the medieval times. Ridge Road ran from Cas to Tadcaster but if you follow a straight line north i runs to Bramham village to a crossroads with the roman road from the garrison at Ilkley. However there is a long curving raised causway marked on ancient maps of the main roman road starting just north of Aberford heading for Taddy. The road also headed south of Cas to just northg of Lincoln where it joined the road to London (Ermine Street???)
Love a Landrover

farbank

Post by farbank »

The whole country was crisscrossed with roman roads. And the Leeds area was no exception.! The oldest known street in the city MUST surely be The Calls. Hasn't Leeds archives published it often enough, coming from the roman 'callis'. Meaning 'way' or 'footpath' [or somesuch]?And according to the numerous textbooks available at our school, many of the roads were to link up with The Great North Rd.[Ermine St ?]. I suppose all roads lead to York, in those times. But the main thoroughfare across Leeds & Dist. was actually the roman road from Lancaster to York. Which is part visible on the moors above Ilkley. Cut right across Leeds, and Thorner, and came out near Tadcaster. Coins and other artefacts, the altar at Roundhay etc., all bear out we've probably all got a bit of the legion in our genes.[With a ' G '.]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

farbank wrote: The whole country was crisscrossed with roman roads. And the Leeds area was no exception.! The oldest known street in the city MUST surely be The Calls. Hasn't Leeds archives published it often enough, coming from the roman 'callis'. Meaning 'way' or 'footpath' [or somesuch]?And according to the numerous textbooks available at our school, many of the roads were to link up with The Great North Rd.[Ermine St ?]. I suppose all roads lead to York, in those times. But the main thoroughfare across Leeds & Dist. was actually the roman road from Lancaster to York. Which is part visible on the moors above Ilkley. Cut right across Leeds, and Thorner, and came out near Tadcaster. Coins and other artefacts, the altar at Roundhay etc., all bear out we've probably all got a bit of the legion in our genes.[With a ' G '.] Ah, farbank, the alter at Roundhay. I was under the impression this was near Braimwood. seen it mentioned on old maps but never a trace or anything written about it have I found!! Any ideas?Agree with you about the Calls though, just sems strange there woudl be the alter at Roundhay, unless whetherby Road was maybe part of the route to York. Might have a look at the old maps and see if I can corrolate any roads joining at Roundhay...!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

nickgj wrote: this isnt completely relevant to the thread topic but it does have to do with the direction it is heading in. some1 talked of an old roman garrison somewhere near moortow, well over the last few months there has been works taking place behind Allerton High School and a dig is scheduled to start at sometime in the not too distant future. the archeologists working on it beleive they may have found what was either a fully fledged roman garrison camp or a marching camp for soldiers on their way to ro from ebauracum (spelling?). and as in the above post this is not far at all from king lane, just the otherside of a valley really. eboracum?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Nick_Stevens

Post by Nick_Stevens »

OS Maps still show a Roman Road in the vicinity of Bank Top Farm on Arthington Lane. The local Scout groups were all part of a section named after either a Roman Road or settlement in the area. I seem to recall the group name as Vicinalis or something similar.Admission here - I was a member of the Adel Scout group - oh the irony (not) of the chants at school - "Id rather be a muppet than a scout!"

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Not particularly old but still actually there (as a section of the original length) is Chorley Lane that ran from Park square up to the mansions & villas built on little woodhouse hillside.Today this cobbled road looks like a back alleyway to Belmont Grove by the clarendon wing, but was a major road in it's day.Unlike roman roads that are dots on maps you can see this one.That I like!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Martyn wrote: There was a Roman Garrison somwhere towards Moortown. The path in Meanwood Woods that starts at the end of Green Road and goes up to the ring road was a Roman 'Harrigate' or soldiers path. I reckon that this could have joined up with what is now Adel Lane at the ring road and Adel Lane continues up to join the end of Farrar Lane.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 29&t=hHave a look at;http://www.arch.wyjs.org.uk/AdvSrv/inde ... eeds.htmTo quote Arthur Hopwood from his 'History of Meanwood' :"The Roman army built a road from Ilkley to Tadcaster which crossed the Adel Beck near Golden Acre Park. There are also hints of a minor road and some defensive works near the junction of Parkside Road and Stonegate Road, to the south of the area once known as Hawcaster Rigg. From time to time Roman coins have been turned up locally, whether lost by careless soldiers with 'holes in their pockets' or hidden by fearful Romano-British inhabitants of the civilian settlement to the north of Adel Church, no-one can tell. As well as coins many other artefacts from this period have been found, namely: altars, pottery and brooches."Maybe the road ran from Ilkley passing along Farrar Lane, to this garrison, turned up what is now Stonegate Road then on through Shadwell, Thorner, Bramham to Tadcaster in a roughly straight line?These towns and villages wouldn't have existed at the time but it makes sense looking at the map.Got a metal detector? Wasn't the Roman fort/garrison at Adel, a pal of mine was on an archaeology course and when he asked about it he was told that there's not much ther now but it has been well excavated and all the stuff found was in the museum.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Chrism wrote: Wasn't the Roman fort/garrison at Adel, a pal of mine was on an archaeology course and when he asked about it he was told that there's not much ther now but it has been well excavated and all the stuff found was in the museum. The fort is on the hillside above adel beck near five lane ends.The roman road that is otley old road i think used to run straight on through the fields to Adel roman camp, where it nowadays is a T junction for Cookridge-Bramhope.Older street maps show a dotted line in the field beyond the T junction as "roman road".

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Top of Gipsy lane at the Beeston/Miggy boundary is an old pack horse road with old causey stones still to be seen.Baulkcliffe Lane?? Dunno how old it is.....