Family History

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The same site suggests you have the wrong reference for the death certificate http://www.yorkshirebmd.info/cgi/pda.cg ... 42&area=LS
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

tyke bhoy wrote: The same site suggests you have the wrong reference for the death certificate http://www.yorkshirebmd.info/cgi/pda.cg ... 42&area=LS The reference that she has shown is the GRO reference,relative to the whole country,Leeds Reg office has its own number system
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

OzzieJoan wrote: Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to this site and have lived in Australia since 1971. I can trace one branch of my ancestors back to James DEAN b.Woodhouse Carr 1761. He and his wife Margaret had 6 children to my knowledge, the eldest being Samuel b.1787 my 3 x gt.grandfather. Now comes the request Is there anyone on this List who would be able to access records of marriages performed at St.Mark's Church, Woodhouse, please? As yet (7 years) I have been unable to track down the marriage of Samuel to an Alice whose maiden name I don't know. Alice DEAN died Q4 1850 so didn't appear on any census other than 1841, which isn't as helpful as the later ones. The death was registered Leeds ref:23/322.Knowing when and where she died, is there anyone who has access to cemetery records which might help, please. I also have a 3 x gt.grandfather in a different line of DEANs who was b.1792 Woodhouse, he married Esther MORTIMER b.1798 Birstall. I do hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction.Cheers,OzzieJoan Arent you lucky,i have the burial records for St Marks on cd rom.Samuel would appear to have been buried at St Marks 07/01/1864 aged 80,of woodhouse Moor.3 years out on baptsim you have but pretty close.Alice was buried 01/10/1850 aged 70 of Nether Green,close to St Marks,giving her a birth year of 1780.As for the marriage i cannot see anything,did Samuel and Alice have a child born between 1837 and 1841?If you can give me the reference numbers for Samuel and Alice in the 1841 census i will see what i can dig up,there may be a clue in the names of their chidren/grandchildren
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: spent a mint doing mine,some years ago.i can go back to a.d 1030,unfortunatly we were only in leeds from 1805,seems we left thornthwaite at the time of the industrial revolution,as did many others.we had lived in thornthwaite since coming from normandy in 1066....but thats not leeds is it. It is since 1805,thats good enough in my book.Really its irrelevant how long a family has been here,i just think its very interesting to be able to say that this has been part of my families hame for quite a few generations.Well wiggy considering that you have traced you family back that far then i assume that your avavtar is a portrait of an ancestor! one of my family was beheaded by one of the henrys...7th i think,so he may of looked as our mate edmund does,perhaps without the ruff.his lands were forfeit,but reverted to his brother...no dobt after much brown nosing,or maybe ye browne nosinge?the second one of us to be born on english soil was 'osberne vicompte d'arqess,so a bit of french or norman nobility is coursing through ones veins don't you know!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

so a bit of french or norman nobility is coursing through ones veins don't you know!Please accept my condolances.On a serious note which ancestor was the "Gateway Ancestor" that pointed you in the direction of the gentry?

OzzieJoan

Post by OzzieJoan »

tyke bhoy - Thanks for the Links. The reference I got for Alice's death was from www.freebmd but I realise they are not always accurate and I hadn't checked the actual image. Will do that later.cnosni - Not easy to make anything recognisable out of your nickname, is there an explanation ?Wow, am I the lucky one - great you had the CD of St.Marks burials. It does look like the right Samuel DEAN that you've found. On the 1851 census he is shown age 65, widowed and living with one of his daughters: 1851 CensusPeach Street, Woodhouse.H107/2320 Folio 1062 Page 3Samuel DEAN 65 b.Leeds Widower BricklayerAnn HOLROYD dau.24 married weaverJane HOLROYD g.dau. 8 monthsHere is the family in 1841:1841 CensusWoodhouse Carr Leeds 1348/6/20Samuel Dean 50yrs Clothier         YAlice     "     55yrs                     NSamuel    "    20yrs Cloth Dresser NElizabeth " "                             YSarah     " "                                YAlice         "    15yrs                         YAnn         "     14yrs    Samuel jnr and Elizabeth were twins b.18 Jan 1817 (so the 'N' on one of them has to be wrong)Sarah bap.9 May 1819Alice and Ann, twins, (this Ann died in infancy) bap.29 July 1821Ann b.30 Mar 1827Elizabeth, Samuel and second Ann all bap.1st July 1827The 1827 birth of Ann was their last child so none born after 1837.Can you please also tell me if there is a viewable cemetery at St.Mark's. I have a third cousin who will be visiting the area soon and I'm sure he would like to take photos etc.Am I allowed to post a Webmail address here?Thanks so much to both of you.OzzieJoan
Looking for my MORTIMER and DEAN [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

OzzieJoanthe reference you got on FreeBMD is correct for the General Record Office,from whom you can order certificates online.You can also order certificates fromLeeds registry office.the link that Tykebhoy gave you allows you to down load an order form for a certificate by post.The Leeds Reg office has its own reference number system when you order from them,in fact you do not even need to tell them the quarter the event took place.The GRO has all BMDS for the whole of England and Wales,and as a consequence have to have a different reference system to incorporate that,one part of that is that they would require the quarter and the reference number you quoted.If you want to order from the GRO then click on this linkhttps://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.aspYou will need to register to use it.Unfortunately i can see no clues in the census info to indicate Alices name,except that she is shown as not being of the county.Samuel jnr would appear to have been born in Leeds 1816 in the 1851 census (thats if i have the right one!2321/402,wife Mary,living in Woodhouse).Though there is an alternative shown born 1817 he is living in Leeds Town Centre on Tiger Street.Do any of the children of Samuel and Alice give their own children an odd middle name which you would normally associate with being a surname?This was a frequent occurence as some couples would use a mothers/grandmothers maiden name as a middle name.Yes the cemetery at St Marks can be visited,it is a little overgrown and is definitely best visited on a clear day.Im afraid some less desirable members of society use it on an evening,so draw your own conclusions from that.If you subscribe to Genes reunited,which if you dont then you should,then you can contact me through there.It requires you to register and pay a fee of about £8 (not sure what that is in Ozzy money)there are about 50 million names on there,from people who have their trees on it. You can either build your tree on there,or upload a gedcom of your own from a family history program.As you buildyour tree the personson it are placed on a searchable data base and as a consequence of this you can search for matches in other trees.If you get a match you can send a message to the person who has that match on their tree.You cannot view someones tree without permission from the owner,so its very safe (just dont put too much info of living relatives)If you want to contact me then put in a search for Marmaduke Pickard born 1783 in Woodhouse,Leeds and when you get a contact that says Christopher then that allow you to send a message tome.

OzzieJoan

Post by OzzieJoan »

Thanks cnosni for all that info. You got the right Samuel jnr., his wife was Mary HALSTEAD and they lived at 3 West End Terrace. He and his twin sister Elizabeth were born 18 January 1817. An error on the 1841 census shows him as not being born in the County but Elizabeth as being born in the County. Unless their mother, Alice, was up to taking a very rapid trip between births, I would say it was definitely an error for Samuel jnr's place of birth I am an unpaid member of Genes Reunited. Not too keen on putting my Tree details online even though I know it might reap many rewards. Will give it more consideration.I will pass on the sad information about St.Mark's cemetery to my distant cousin and thank you for everything.OzzieJoan
Looking for my MORTIMER and DEAN [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

Hi OzzieJoanI've built my tree on Genesreunited and never had a problem. However, you don't have to put still-living relatives on, unless they don't mind! I've got quite a lot of extra information from other members (don't forget to verify it, though!)Good luckSi

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

OzzieJoan wrote: Thanks cnosni for all that info. You got the right Samuel jnr., his wife was Mary HALSTEAD and they lived at 3 West End Terrace. He and his twin sister Elizabeth were born 18 January 1817. An error on the 1841 census shows him as not being born in the County but Elizabeth as being born in the County. Unless their mother, Alice, was up to taking a very rapid trip between births, I would say it was definitely an error for Samuel jnr's place of birth I am an unpaid member of Genes Reunited. Not too keen on putting my Tree details online even though I know it might reap many rewards. Will give it more consideration.I will pass on the sad information about St.Mark's cemetery to my distant cousin and thank you for everything.OzzieJoan Si is correct,no one can have access to yor tree unless you allow it,i have made great headway through contacts on there,but dont take them at face value,check them yourself.