Oldest photographs of Leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

I was amazed to see a photograph of Leeds on the Leodis site dated 1832!Unfortunately the image is quite poor here - I would like to see a full size image (I'm surprised it's not on display in the Museum - this is very early for a photograph)Quote 1832. Photograph Joseph Rhodes. A view from near Wellington Road. Wellington Bridge and Monk Bridge are in the foreground. In the centre beyond the bridge are Benjamin Gott's Great Bean Ing (Cloth) Mills with their domed gasometer house. Beyond again in the tower of St Paul's, Park Square (demolished), St John's appears dimly beyond, next is the tower and spire (destroyed by tempest) of Trinity Church, Boar Lane. Monk Bridge appears on the right and amid further mills and factories rises St Peter's parish church.Does anyone know of similiarly old photographs.It's interesting that Joseph Rhodes was also an artist and painted the same scene about this time.See Paintings of Leeds threadhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... Message=25    
Attachments
__TFMF_u5rzek45z2akra45fwnqdx55_97156bd9-e3a0-492e-a694-81c8aec3dd88_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u5rzek45z2akra45fwnqdx55_97156bd9-e3a0-492e-a694-81c8aec3dd88_0_main.jpg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

Post by . »

The earliest photographs in tne world were made in 1839. So if this is a photograph, it's been incorrectly dated. If it's a pencil drawing, painting etc, that's a different matter.But I'd also like to know/see the earliest photo of Leeds. But the earliest movie of Leeds is also the earliest movie ever made-the Leeds Bridge sequence.D. Young

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

hey guys, long time no see, looks like dot is back! ( for newer users -old joke, long thread )

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

. wrote: The earliest photographs in tne world were made in 1839. So if this is a photograph, it's been incorrectly dated. If it's a pencil drawing, painting etc, that's a different matter.But I'd also like to know/see the earliest photo of Leeds. But the earliest movie of Leeds is also the earliest movie ever made-the Leeds Bridge sequence.D. Young The earliest photograph in the world, a view from a farmhouse window, was taken by the French inventor Niepce in 1826 http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com ... e-jpg.jpeg    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

. wrote: The earliest photographs in tne world were made in 1839. So if this is a photograph, it's been incorrectly dated. If it's a pencil drawing, painting etc, that's a different matter.But I'd also like to know/see the earliest photo of Leeds. But the earliest movie of Leeds is also the earliest movie ever made-the Leeds Bridge sequence.D. Young Come to think of it it may just be a modern photo of a drawing when you consider the dimensions.