1600's Black Death Burial Site

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Those graves are cholera victims I think. I live not far from there it has just been cleared up and tided recently.

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

There were Cholera epidemics in Leeds in 1832 and 1848 plus a Typhus epidemic in 1847. I'm not sure when the Beckett street Cemetery was built (dug?) but it appears on my 1850 OS map so it's reasonable to assume that some of the victims would be buried there.There's a gravestone in St. Matthew's churchyard in Holbeck which lists all seven children lost to a couple in 1848 within the space of a few months. It breaks your heart.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

rikj

Post by rikj »

The white building on Sharpe Lane (now being demolished) was a Hardened Telephone Repeater Station. Hardened presumably to survive the cold war nuclear threat. I think this served what was known as RAF Rothwell Haigh.Coincidentally, or not, it is right next door to the CEGB bunker, now used by a construction company.I've always suspected that the mound in the aerial pic is the remains of an ROC Post (Hunslet). The grid ref for the site is the other side of the M1 but there has always been some doubt that it's correct. There look to be large pieces of stone or concrete in the mound.I'd much prefer it to be a black death burial mound though!

farbank

Post by farbank »

I was always told that the Leeds plague victims were taken 'well away' from the city. Which sounds reasonable. But in this case ,I understood 'well away' was actually up Wakefield Rd. by Stourton.The burial ground being the one you can see, when coming to the bottom of the M1. Or returning into Leeds down the Wakefield Rd., over to the left.As for Beckett St. cemetery, this was opened in Aug.1845. And to the left of the top entrance , opp. the war memorial, is what was/is known as 'dissenters row'. The area thereabouts, is where all non- Church of England were buried. Jews; catholics;agnostics;and all other non-conformists. The little chapel in the area ,since demolished, is probably why there is a bit of 'spare' land. There were two chapels aswell as the two lodges. Even the dead had to be kept apart from each other.

hunsletlad

Post by hunsletlad »

The stone plaque that was at the side of Hunslet station marking the cholera deaths is now at Hun slet cemetary (Woodhouse Hill) it is directly at the foot of my late wifes grave.

carith

Post by carith »

I have also heard the rumour about plague victims being buried on the site of the mound off sharpe lane. What puzzles me is why was there no body remains found when the holes were dug up for the pylon to be set into place.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

hunsletlad wrote: The stone plaque that was at the side of Hunslet station marking the cholera deaths is now at Hun slet cemetary (Woodhouse Hill) it is directly at the foot of my late wifes grave. Hi Hunslet lad, could you please let me know whereabouts in the cemetery, my grandparents are also buried there and I would like to visit the cholera memorial stone. When I was little my dad (born and raised in the Chesneys) rented a couple of lock up garages that were situated on the trackbed of the old Miggy railway line where it crossed Hunslet Moor towards the Craven gate. The memorial stone was quite close to his garage and he stopped at the stone every time we went to his lock up.Happy memories.
The longer we live the older we get

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Billy I can't help but I should point out that Hunslet Lad posted that four and a half years ago so don't be disappointed if he doesn't answer.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Doh!!!! didnt think to look at that. better keep takin the pills.
The longer we live the older we get

Caron

Post by Caron »

Posted this on another section as I'm new and didn't see this link but plague victims are supposed to be buried in the grassed area alongside Kirkstall Abbey museum. I have seen a big stone near the museum with a carved date on it that relates to the plague, (1600 whatever?). My memory is so bad!Anyone else heard the same?