Event in Leeds in November 1897

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
billio

Post by billio »

I wonder if anyone can help with information as to why a party of 383 people might travel by train from Stutton, near Tadcaster, to Leeds on or about the 20th November 1897.I can't find anything relevant in or around Tadcaster and just wondering if there was some kind of special event in Leeds. (1897 is Victoria's Diamond Jubilee year, but that was celebrated in the summer.)I could come into Leeds if there are microfilm copies for newspapers from that period in the central library. Anyone know if this is the case ?.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

According to Wikipedia, Holbeck Imps Rugby Club played against Hull on that day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbeck_Rugby_Club. Holbeck won 12-5. There's quite a few other hits if you put Leeds 20th November 1897 into Google, but going to watch a rugby march certainly sounds like a possibility.    

billio

Post by billio »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will search using Google.But, sorry, I should have pointed out: this trip involved 383 passengers out of a population of about 400 at the time. I don't think there were all keen on watching a rugby match, but you never know :-) .The whole thing seems very strange.

uncle mick

Re: Event in Leeds in November 1897

Post by uncle mick »

If I may ask billio where did you get your original info from ???

billio

Post by billio »

Sorry for the delay, I have only just seen the document. The information comes from a receipt issued by the North Eastern Railway dated Nov 20th 1897, to H Thompson, Passenger Department, between Stutton and Leeds, available 1 day, number of tickets 383, Third Class.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Just a suggestion but you could try asking the Thoresby Society:
http://www.thoresby.org.uk/contacts.htm
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

That looks very close to the 59th Anniversary of the station opening, and it closed to passengers only a few years later.