Mining Question..Coal ...Iron?

Places to explore
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This is one of the many streams that run down from Shadwell to the streamthat feeds Roundhay Park.Notice the bright orange patch leaching in from LH side, iron oxide from oldcoal seams?Approx position, SE 332,393 O.S.53° 50' 57.66? N, 1° 29' 37.91? W    

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

It is quite likely to be associated with the iron pyrites within the coal seams of the area. There are some bell pits north of the Ring Road towards Shadwell (hence Colliers Lane, not the same as the Coal Road), and as earlier posts there were some coal workings at Roundhay. No doubt if there were seams of any use in the area they would have been worked, they you have been exposed by the quarrying at Roundhay.The location given lands it in the edge of the area mined seemingly in the medieval period, between Shadwell Lane and the Ring Road.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Thanks for the info.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Topcliffe Beck that runs parallel to Dewsbury Road and joins Millshaw Beck runs the same colour - it originates from the former Topcliffe Colliery.
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This post in a related thread by our very own Grumpytramp might be relevant here:'It is the consequence of a phenomenon known as acid mine drainage (AMD) and is affect can be devastating of the freshwater environment. In the simplest terms as mines extended below the water table they pumped water out of the mine to allow the mining operation to continue unimpeded. This has an important impact in coal mines as one of the minerals that is routinely uncovered is iron pyrites in coal, shales and fireclay.Now in contact with the air it will begin to oxidise, as this reaction continues it generates heat and further accelerates the reaction (leading to the ultimate consequence if there is sufficient oxygen, heat and coal in spontaneous combustion). In oxidising the Iron Pyrites is converted to Iron (Fe2) Sulphate which is solvent in water. When the mines are abandoned and the water table rebounds to its natural level, that water dissolves the Iron Sulphide in the first instance Iron (Fe2) Sulphate and then Iron (Fe3) Sulphate. The reaction from Sulphide to Sulphate makes the water become acidic.It is when the water rebounds and there is a drainage route to the surface such as sough, tunnel, shaft etc and the water finds itself at the surface the real problems begin.Acidic water emerges at the surface with consequential damage on the freshwater habitat, then as it becomes more dilute downstream, the pH increases and the water is in contact with oxygen the previously soluble Iron (Fe3) Sulphate oxidises again and forms a precipitate of Iron Hydroxide. That is the horrible orange gunge.The process can occur naturally too and there a host of micro-organisms and bugs that thrive in that environment and will act as catalyst themselves.It is a serious problem in a lot of areas (and it is not just a legacy of coal and iron mining – the problem is in some respect worse in metal mines as a lot of other complex chemical reactions can occur creating complex and serious pollution problems.Orange gunge ends up carpeting the floors of watercourses killing most conventional aquatic life'.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Riponian wrote: It is quite likely to be associated with the iron pyrites within the coal seams of the area. There are some bell pits north of the Ring Road towards Shadwell (hence Colliers Lane, not the same as the Coal Road), and as earlier posts there were some coal workings at Roundhay. No doubt if there were seams of any use in the area they would have been worked, they you have been exposed by the quarrying at Roundhay.The location given lands it in the edge of the area mined seemingly in the medieval period, between Shadwell Lane and the Ring Road. I have the main coal/iron workings alongside Wyke Beck by easterly road, but the seams do move northwards before thinning out to nothing on the south side of the wharfe.I would like to know exactly which stream this is. Gt. Heads feeds the lake and there's a stream from Roundhay Grange that joins the wyke beck near medieval coal/iron pits, identified by tithe map field names like pit close etc.As for Colliers Lane it's a toss up. The word "Collier" was originally associated with charcoal burners and as the coal mining came much later to roundhay/wyke beck the Colliers Lane could be the route Shadwell charcoal burners took, especially as the continuation of the lane ie elmete lane then asket hill goes straight on to the iron bloomeries on the wyke beck.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

The field to the south of Temperance Cottage (at the west end of Holywell Lane) has several bell pits in it, as have the woods in the area. The soil in the area is very heavy and waterlogged, a lot of the area would have not supported much more than Birch (as the roots are rot proof) which isn't much use to make charcoal with. Where the ground has been broken and the drainage improved, oak and beech make a foothold.You can see the pock-marks on the satellite photos quite well. I spent my first few years in the area.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@Parksider I would like to know exactly which stream this is.Google Maps: http://snipurl.com/1qm5vh

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Riponian wrote: The field to the south of Temperance Cottage (at the west end of Holywell Lane) has several bell pits in it, as have the woods in the area. The soil in the area is very heavy and waterlogged, a lot of the area would have not supported much more than Birch (as the roots are rot proof) which isn't much use to make charcoal with. Where the ground has been broken and the drainage improved, oak and beech make a foothold.You can see the pock-marks on the satellite photos quite well. I spent my first few years in the area. The question then arises as to wether the bell pits were seeking iron in medieval times or coal later?? Perhaps GT could comment on the likely geology. Pretty much far out whichever was being mined!!The charcoal burning was I believe in the park itself so wood colliers could have taken the colliers lane to walk down into the park, as the industry needed labour it had to come from outside the park - seacroft and shadwell being the adjacent villages and shadwell nearer than seacroft. Of course later coal pits at wyke beck could have been mined by Shadwell people. It's all a romantic guess!!I'm super intrigued about the shadwell remains Riponian - can I thank you for your post!!!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brunel wrote: @Parksider I would like to know exactly which stream this is.Google Maps: http://snipurl.com/1qm5vh Eeeeh by gum well I never - didn't know there was a stream there, but if it's showing Iron then Riponian's Shadwell pits are well likely to be Ironstone!!Again if GT ever re-enters the building perhaps he could comment!!I've a nice little walk on my hands here. THANK YOU BRUNEL....