Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Places to explore
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Should be published, or submitted to a University.Perhaps a D.Phil.............could be awarded.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

As others have already acknowledged Phil, this is an incredibly interesting and extensive commendable work and we can't thank you enough for it. Its shown me an enormous amount of information that I knew little or nothing about, despite having walked above the subjects described and illustrated for seven decades !!Just in passing - the West Yorkshire bus in the accident, DX14, was only a few months old at the time and therefore avoided scrapping, being returned to Bristol and Eastern Coachworks for extensive repairs, but even so it must have been a "borderline" insurance matter.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

@ csnosi, gald you liked it mate @ PC - Dublin, your right, the Victorians were very advanced with there building knowledge, the use of the pre-formed concrete kicking blocks for example. The old Victorian channel is far superior at self cleaning than the modern box culvert was.@ Drapsey, thanks for the info about the cinema. I tried to find out what it was called with no success. I've added it to the story.I doubt there's any signs of the cinema to be honest. The place has recently been renovated. It's possible there Student flats judging by the noise i heard coming from there. The builders were actually replacing the very last window when i was down in the culvert. One of them shouts 'Hey mate, what you doing down there? I shouted back, why what are you doing up there? Then i just strolled off through the tunnel @ Kate, thanks very much, glad you enjoy them.The guy on the bike was Adam Hart Davis. I used to enjoy his programmes too, but i'm not sure about the Yellow and Pink cycling outfits he wore.@ buffaloskinner, thanks mate.@ Brunel, I like the sound of the university thing, is that phill.d P.H.D perchance? Cheers!@ Blakey, thanks Blakey, I always enjoy your 'on the busses' story telling too. Thanks for the info on the bus. Like Drapseys snippet of info, i've added it to the story. Feedback like this is great for added interest. Thanks everyone!        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Mate your a breath of fresh air.We need to stop all this bickering and get back to what we all do best.Well i say 'all' what i mean is you lot with a sprinkling of my incoherent ramblings lol.To tell you the truth i was starting to get a little bit sick of it all what with the episode last month.But its stuff like this and the stuff on the miningthread(GT+Parksider+ PC Dublin)that make me want to keep going with the site.Also CNOSNI with his tireless Family History searches,a truecredit to the site.And BLAKEY and his oracle of transport(still waiting for that book BLAKEY LOL) and notforgetting Drapesy with his INCREDIBLE knowledge on publichouses both past and present lol.And the right dis-honourable reverend of the voodoo moon Steve Jones TOP MAN!The list goes on and on but what im trying to say reallyis that the site as got much much more good going for it than bad.Its just a shame when the bickering starts and then one person says one thing then someone says something else and before you know it people have fallen out.Its no good arguing and falling out so lets(for the good of the site)banish all the bull$hit and get back to basics.ps/I forgot the mention The Chameleon, Secret Leeds answerto Kofi annan. A credit to world peace and cross gatesSo anyway's that been said, i hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a peaceful prosperous new year.Peace & RespectSean.    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Haha. Glad you made a Christmas day appearence Brandy, even if you've had a little tipple #Hic# You have a great Christmas mate, and everyone else too.Cheers Brandy
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

well said Brandy. Cheers Phill - and to all Just going to tuck into Turkey and all the trimmingsHappy new YearFloreat Leodis    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

superb thread phil.couple of points:mab I think was used here in the sense of fairy as there was a lady Well nearby.mab was queen of the faireis and they were often associated with wells and springs.Steander also becomes Stannard, in Wakefield we have Stannard Island which is a small island next to the river containing industrial units, the name of which means stony as well.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Right,had a chance to have more than a cursory look at this Opus Diggerus (and original latin term ) and i have to say that out of all the work that Phil has done i would probably say that this is his best piece so far.Im sat here,turning round from the PC to our lass and saying look at this look at that!!Phil if you dont do something with all this research that you have done,including all the other bits such as the Holbeck research,and make even some sort of attempt at publication then i will nick it all,put my name on it and make some cash!!Phil you have always told me that you wanted to find a new direction,and frankly it is staring you in the face.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I would suggest putting all this into an ebook Phil.There are some excellent programs that do it for free.i for one would love something like that and it saves you trying to print stuff as well as source outlets.Amazon sell ebooks as well and you can get them to stock it.just a thought.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Phill - it might not be quite as interesting - but I wonder if its feasible to follow Low Beck/Hol Beck in the same way ? would that throw up much of interest??    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.