Eastgate subway?

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Any ideas what this 1955 construction shot is?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's an intriguing one Phill. I don't recall ever seeing a subway in Eastgate. Unlikely I suspect, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the garage that used to be on the roundabout?    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: That's an intriguing one Phill. I don't recall ever seeing a subway in Eastgate. Unlikely I suspect, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the garage that used to be on the roundabout?     I'm thinking it could be a wrong location description. Or a rather loose term of the word 'subway' Possibly drainage perhaps? I've never known of an Eastgate subway myself. That's why i thought i'd put it on S.L to see what others think.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: That's an intriguing one Phill. I don't recall ever seeing a subway in Eastgate. Unlikely I suspect, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the garage that used to be on the roundabout?     I'm thinking it could be a wrong location description. Or a rather loose term of the word 'subway' Possibly drainage perhaps? I've never known of an Eastgate subway myself. That's why i thought i'd put it on S.L to see what others think. I suspect that you are right Phill. Unless it was a large new drain for the old toilets that used to be at the bus station (where the entry/exit to the bus station is from Eastgate!)     

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Eastgate continues towards New York Road/Regent Street,not justthe bit from Vicar Lane to the old filling station roundabout.Leodis mentions a subway in 1910 during the constructionof New York Road.big time scale difference,could 1955 be filling in the 1910excavation.The 1910 photos have puzzled me for some time.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Any ideas what this 1955 construction shot is?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL Nope - I know the area backwards and have known it for 50 years, so I suspect either the project was not completed or leodis have got the caption wrong, they get a few wrong and why wouldnt they.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Dont remember any subway in Eastgate, and this is the only thing I can find about anything underground in the area, and yet that relates to the Headrow, slightly further up.The building of Headrow House began in April 1952, despite the fact that the final licence for building above first floor level was not granted until 1954. Construction was almost complete by 19th April 1955, and the Inland Revenue had moved into the top 5 floors of the building. The basement and the ground floor were finished later; a large underground car park in the basement was opened in November 1955.....Possible?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Nice one Phill. Here we go again lolI wonder if it should have read 'substation'
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Leodis site has an image taken the same day that is looking down Eastgate to Quarry Hill Flats. The image seems to show some construction work going on to the left. I wonder if that may be the same location as the "subway" work? Hopefully this link will bring up the image on Leodis. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wow Eastgate looks really wide in that shot doesn't it?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.