Burley Beck - anyone know of it?`

Places to explore
Scaz

Post by Scaz »

Does anyone know anything about Burley Beck? I've only ever found two references to it; one in the 'Early Burley' booklet: the other in a detail of a restriction area for a foot and mouth outbreak. Unfortunately I can't find the latter of the two but I think it was from 1904 or thereabouts.The Early Burley reference has it running down the Beechwoods and refers to it being culverted some years ago (http://burleygreen.com/wall/LateVictorianBurley-1) but isn't specific about either of the things. The reference to Burley Beck in the Foot and Mouth document used the beck as a boundary and mentioned it meeting Cardigan Lane. I'd think that'd be near Burley Park Station as I can't see where else it could be.I spent some time round Beechwood Place and looking at the lay of the land, and judging by the sounds from under the street when it rains, I'd guess it ran down to Beechwood Place and across the Village Green, before heading off to the Aire. I did see that the bit of wild land at the end of Graham Mt (search Google maps for 53.811182,-1.579676 and it's the trees you can see) had a brick shaft dropping 15/20ft down to a fast flowing body of water, though it may be sewage. That land (anyone know why it's been vacant for so long, another quarry like at the top of Stanmore Hill?) is now being developed it seems so if they get flooded I'll know. I suppose any old pictures or residents of the Village before it was flattened might remember the stream - my neighbour remembers large water storage tanks being installed there and recalls travelling underground towards the Aire some distance in the pipes / culverts when he was young. That would be the late 50s/early 60s. The water board did works there a couple of years ago as well, I think to deal with the old cellars of the houses getting flooded but I may be wrong.Anyway, if anyone knows anything about Burley Beck, its route or history, I'd love to know.Much obliged.Callum.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Nothing obvious apart from the lie of the land.See this thread - page 4 specifically.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... Message=75

Scaz

Post by Scaz »

That's a help. I don't have a map of the area that old though, does anyone else?I've also found the document I'd lost -> http://books.google.co.uk/books?cd=1&id ... anchorWhat can be seen of it says: '...commencing in Burley Road at a point where the said road is crossed by the Burley Beck, thence proceeding along Burley Road aforesaid in an Eastwardly direction to a point where the said road is crossed by the North-Eastern railway, thence proceeding in a Northwardly direction along the said railway to a point where the said railway is crossed by Cardigan Lane and from thence along the east side of Burley Beck to a point where it crosses Burley Road aforesaid.' This is referring to a non-movement area for cattle in an attempt to contain foot and mouth if I remember correctly. Mind given that I remembered it being in 1904 when it was actually 1883, maybe it's about donkey rides.This would put the beck at the original Cardigan Lane - what is around about the Northbound platform entrance - heading down to Burley Road. That'd make the route I suggested first quite likely and also mean that the shaft I mentioned might well have Burley Beck at the bottom of it. Maybe something's shown in the planning application for the work being carried out there now.Callum.

Si

Post by Si »

Godfrey 1908 OS map of NW Leeds.(Click on map to enlarge.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_ze4oq455io0ys5erotmapfmv_dde1e1ce-303a-4dd1-9642-95b0f9162684_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ze4oq455io0ys5erotmapfmv_dde1e1ce-303a-4dd1-9642-95b0f9162684_0_main.jpg (984.87 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

Si

Post by Si »

Godfrey 1908 OS map, Headingley. Note that there are no boundaries marked in this area on either map (following the course of a beck, or otherwise.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_ze4oq455io0ys5erotmapfmv_7984282b-8601-45e8-b01c-f28608ba7048_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ze4oq455io0ys5erotmapfmv_7984282b-8601-45e8-b01c-f28608ba7048_0_main.jpg (485.11 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

Scaz

Post by Scaz »

Cheers for the images both.The Burley Village bit looks promising as I note at the top where it meets Village Place, there's a laundry. I actually meant I thought the beck came down Beechwood View, not Place. Has anyone got any higher definition maps or can point me towards one on the Interweb. I might have a look in Waterstones at the weekend and see what they've got.Callum.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I think you're right, that description and the lie of the land suggest there should have been a beck there. However there's no culverted watercourse, just 'combined' sewers which take rain water and sewage. There still is such a sewer right through the middle of the old village which could in effect be the culvert as well. The victorians weren't fussy about such things. I can't place your shaft but one way to test the theory is to go there in the middle of the night during a dry period. If it's still running strong there's a good chance it's natural water flow.Also, if you look at the railway it crosses the valley and heads for the 'high ground. It's built on what would have been a spur between the burley beck an the long gone beck that probably flowed parrallel to the east of Cardigan road, down Thornville Road.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Scaz wrote: Does anyone know anything about Burley Beck? I've only ever found two references to it; one in the 'Early Burley' booklet: the other in a detail of a restriction area for a foot and mouth outbreak. Unfortunately I can't find the latter of the two but I think it was from 1904 or thereabouts.The Early Burley reference has it running down the Beechwoods and refers to it being culverted some years ago (http://burleygreen.com/wall/LateVictorianBurley-1) but isn't specific about either of the things. The reference to Burley Beck in the Foot and Mouth document used the beck as a boundary and mentioned it meeting Cardigan Lane. I'd think that'd be near Burley Park Station as I can't see where else it could be.I spent some time round Beechwood Place and looking at the lay of the land, and judging by the sounds from under the street when it rains, I'd guess it ran down to Beechwood Place and across the Village Green, before heading off to the Aire. I did see that the bit of wild land at the end of Graham Mt (search Google maps for 53.811182,-1.579676 and it's the trees you can see) had a brick shaft dropping 15/20ft down to a fast flowing body of water, though it may be sewage. That land (anyone know why it's been vacant for so long, another quarry like at the top of Stanmore Hill?) is now being developed it seems so if they get flooded I'll know. I suppose any old pictures or residents of the Village before it was flattened might remember the stream - my neighbour remembers large water storage tanks being installed there and recalls travelling underground towards the Aire some distance in the pipes / culverts when he was young. That would be the late 50s/early 60s. The water board did works there a couple of years ago as well, I think to deal with the old cellars of the houses getting flooded but I may be wrong.Anyway, if anyone knows anything about Burley Beck, its route or history, I'd love to know.Much obliged.Callum. Try Old maps 1851-1854 OSIn cardigan Fields opposite the Cardiarms (the old pub not our good friend) you can see a couple of possible becks running into the Aire.For me one MUST be the water from the natural valley/hollow of Burley Village. It's a "rein" for sure, and I concur with the idea it was culverted to accomodate the old village. Another seems to come in from the estates on Burley Wood to the north west.Good Hunting!

Armley Lass 47

Post by Armley Lass 47 »

Hope I dont confuse matters as my memory has faded. I used to visit my Gran in the Greenhows on a Sunday morning and she used to take us for a walk often. I do remember walking over a small footbridge somewhere with a beck underneath although I cant remember how much of it you could see. That was in the 1950's but as I loved water and streams I know I am not imagining it, but not living in Leeds for years now cannot remember which part of Burley it was.Someone mentioned the Cardigan Arms well my Gran used to take us into the garden for a drink there, so it could be around that area. I also think there was a park not far from the bridge.
your life comes from your ancestors

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm not aware the Cradigan Arms ever had a garden. It's got a yard. Possibly somewhere elese?