Another Beck.....or stream?

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

If you scroll our video through to 8 mins 30 you can just see that concrete section after the split. You can see a newer constructed section nearer the river too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2M
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Brunel wrote: This is from an undated street plan.Gipton Beck is overlaid with a red line, as it is a council boundary, separating LEEDS CENTRAL AND LEEDS NORTH That map confuses things at the Meanwood beck end now, what is that short angled/diagonal run for?There's no sign of that today down there.    *I've captured the brunel culvert and that section of open air beck on the vid.If you scroll to 1 min 57 you can see it*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2M    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Brunel wrote: This is from an undated street plan.Gipton Beck is overlaid with a red line, as it is a council boundary, separating LEEDS CENTRAL AND LEEDS NORTH And I think confirms your culvert to have been the by-pass for the pond at some point. I'd like to see some pics of this mill pond, or find out when it dissapeared. The mill ponds certainly gone by 1934, by my reckoning it was where this large mound of earth is herehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... FULLHere's a 1953 shot of Brunels culvert, not much change to this day.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: While looking up Clifford Street on the 1908 Godfrey map I noticed an unusual wiggly admin boundary running down the hill from the South West corner of Woodhouse Moor to Woodsley Road, down Woodsley Road and over Burley road, across the valley and down to the river to the east of corporation yard. Unusually the building lines of the adjacent properties also follow this line. I can't remember anything on the system at work and will have a look but Woodsely Road/HydePark road do form a bowl cutting back into the valleyside. Hmmmmmm...... What eagle eyes!!The 1854 map shows a small stream and the "bowl" of woodsley road a wooded glade with a small babbling brook.Nice obscure one.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

And another I think.......moving slightly west there's some water courses shown that head towards the line of Cardigan Road. One we've talked about before, rising behind HydePark terrace, it joins a combined sewer and then the Brudenell Road Sewer, down to Cardigan Road. Another rises on Buckingham Road, joins the sewer on Victoria Road and then down to Czrdigan Road. Another at the bottom of Richmond avenue and agasin into Victoria Road. And another from the back of Burley library, under the railway and into the Burley Road Sewer by the Burly Park Scout Hut.the catchment for this area would roughly be bordered by St Michaels Lane to the west, Headingley Lane to the north, Moor road to the East.Did anything ever run through the old Burley Village. There's a combined sewer in the bottom of the dip.    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: Did anything ever run through the old Burley Village. There's a combined sewer in the bottom of the dip.     The oldest map I have seen for the area is the old maps OS 1854.between the Cardigan Arms and the river there's a double line that may be a stream. Certainly the "dip" or "hollow" that Burley Village is in screams out to have a stream in it or below it.Older maps may reveal such, maybe when the village was built they culverted any small stream then? Across "Cardigan fields" is another double line that seems to run NW up into the grounds of burley grange from the river.On these old maps sometimes you are hard pressed to tell a boundary line, wall line, stream line or contour line apart!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Forgive me if this has been done before, but on Leodis there's a "stream" (geddit) of photos of the covering of Lady Beck.Just search Lady Beck.Piccy 31 is a long shot of the beck uncovered sweeping through what is today the bottom of eastgate, the cop shop and the bus station.To think that 80 years on Phil D. would be down it.The additions to Leodis are quite breathtaking at times.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Dalehelms wrote: Hi there The Parksider,Here is a wee bit of info on the stream on the banking above the playground at Asket Hill Primary School............................................I understood that the school had been built on the site of an old pit slag heap. I'm not sure if that is true or not. I don't know if you post nowadays DH but there were pits in the vicinity of Asket Hill school as noted on the Tithe map field names.More true than not - so thought I'd better post this for accuracy.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Update on Burley Village Beck from someone else:"The stream that ran through the Burley Village and alongside the green is well documented...it came from somewhere near Beckett Park, crossed where the railway cutting now is behind the Rugby ground, then across the Burley Model Allotments site and on down through where the Lumleys now are and into the Village Green.Plots 30, 77, 78, 81 and 82 at BMA are all troubled by excess water after heavy rain as they are still effectively in what was the river bed....they also have the worst, clayey soil... as opposed to the nice, quickly drying sand soil of the rest of the allotments....however, whenever there is a drought, they always get to grow the best veg.... proves there is no 'perfect' site"Also across the otherside of the valley, Houghley Gill (clue in the name?) in the Wythers.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

To return to this thread's original subject of the beck/stream running along Linton Road - I live in this area myself and have tried to work out just where this 'beck' comes from.My inexpert guess is that it's a mixture of a naturally occurring spring (hence Brookhill), land drainage (or diverted streams) from the nearby Sandhill estate, and possibly some kind of outflow from the old reservoir to the south-west.The Sandhill theory comes from the 1954 map of the area, from after that estate was built but before the Lintons and Brookhills went up in the mid 1960s. On the bit I've hopefully uploaded, you can see two drains running from the Sandhills towards the wooded area which is where Linton Road is now. I suspect that these were covered when the Linton/Brookhill estate was built, but still run into that little beck. That would explain why there seems to be rather a lot more water there at the bottom of Linton Road (the church car park end) than at the Brookhill Crescent end where it's just a trickle.If you look on modern OS maps, a bit of the lower of those two drains is still visible overground between Belvedere Court and Linton Rise, following the original path. Presumably it flows through somebody's back garden.There are plenty of triangular 'City of Leeds' manhole covers around these streets that I suspect mark where the culverts are. At some point I might try plotting them onto a map and seeing if the theory stacks up!The reservoir theory is more fanciful - however it's a stone's throw away from this area, just beyond the top of Brookhill Avenue. No idea of the purpose of the reservoir or whether it's still in use - it appears on turn-of-the-century OS maps with no clue as to its purpose. But I think it could be possible that there's some sort of overflow system that flows into the same drainage system. Any ideas anyone?