Rodley Tomb Stone?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

The map's not as helpful with the Rodley one - it's just marked "stone", with no abbreviations to say what kind of stone it is!I'm not absolutely clear where the Pudsey Road one is, but I've found a quarry on the map (the nearest side roads on either side are Ridge View and Ivy Chase) and if this is the correct quarry, the stone just to the West is again marked "stone" on the map.It would be too easy and boring if the maps provided the answer every time, but they do come in useful occasionally!

Si

Post by Si »

Yes, the second stone is near that quarry. I wonder why the Roker Lane mile stone was defaced? The four marks on the west facing side do look a bit like the original markings have been chipped away, now I think about it. Odd how the map-maker went to the trouble to mention it, too?

Si

Post by Si »

I've found the Roker Lane/Littlemoor Road stone on the listed buildings list posted by jonleeds on the Leeds Listed Buildings thread. It's marked as "7" strangely, but is in the right place. Grade II and Bldg ref 79-4/153. No luck with the Rodley or Hough Side stones as yet.    

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

blackprince wrote: Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary. Nice work blackprince,now you dont think you could pop on over to the skulls thread and sort out that little conundrum for us could you??
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: blackprince wrote: Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary. Nice work blackprince,now you dont think you could pop on over to the skulls thread and sort out that little conundrum for us could you?? I wouldn't be surprised if someone popped up one day and did exactly that Brandy - it seems to happen doesn't it

Si

Post by Si »

blackprince wrote: Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary. Mystery solved.A most unambiguous, concise solution to our problem.Thanks, Blackprince.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Si wrote: blackprince wrote: Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary. Mystery solved.A most unambiguous, concise solution to our problem.Thanks, Blackprince. Thanks, It was an interesting puzzle. I need to give my brain a rest now!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

LS13

Post by LS13 »

blackprince wrote: Si wrote: Maybe we're right, then. Still, it would be nice to know the significance of S.ST.T.D.C.1862.Dead old stuff?...were they the teachers, then, Alice Cake?! Apologies for coming to this thread late. After a bit of research I think these are almost certainly parish boundary markers and the significance of the inscription is the parish of Stanningley , St Thomas, in The Deanery of Calverley.There was a good practical reason for marking the parish boundary in 1862. In that year a new Highways Act was passed which made parishes ( or groups of parishes) responsible for maintaining roads. Turnpike roads ( toll roads ) were falling out of favour in the mid 19th C and roads which had previously been maintained by Turnpike Trusts were "dis-turnpiked" by parliament and became maintained by Parish Boards.It would be interesting to know whether these marker stones are at the point where the old roads cross the parish boundary. Well done from the original poster. Took us 10 months to solve but we got there in the end!