Rodley Tomb Stone?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
LS13

Post by LS13 »

Noticed this the other day at the bottom of Coal Hill Lane, on the main road through Rodley. Not sure what it is, but its obviously been left there when they've developed the area--its right next to a newish development (guess early 90's) and I'd have thought it would have been tricky to work around, so maybe at the time someone knew of its significance. Any ideas?

Si

Post by Si »

I don't think it's a grave stone. By 1862, gravestones were much like they are now, with more information. My guess is it's some sort of boundary marker, which is why it hasn't been moved. The letters don't seem to have any significance though.

Si

Post by Si »

D.C. - district council?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: I don't think it's a grave stone. By 1862, gravestones were much like they are now, with more information. My guess is it's some sort of boundary marker, which is why it hasn't been moved. The letters don't seem to have any significance though. Agree,grave stones by this time were far more ornate and detailed,i should know i spend a lot of my time looking at the blooming things.Boundry stone seems more likely,but never come across one with a year/date on it.This is mysterious!!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

I've looked on the 1852 and 1895 maps but there isn't anything indicated around there at all like any type of boundary. Not even any buildings at that place so i'm stumped.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

off topic a little, there is wonderful old graveyard down the bottom of coal hill lane. it is really very, very spooky and worth a look...

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

the graveyard at bottom of coal hill is intresting, shame its not looked after though

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

very intriguing its got me baffled as this one!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Yes I'm baffled too about this Rodley stone. Is there a link to the cranemakers Thomas Smith or Booths?The old Farsley Baptist graveyard at the bottom of Coal Hill is very interesting. A charitable trust pays for some of the upkeep but many of the gravestones have fallen. Watch out for deer and foxes if you go in there. You'll find the gravestones of the Gaunt family (overlooking their Springfield Mills!), an Australian and the widow of German nobleman. There are half a dozen scattered graves looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The recurring names are Parkinson, Overend, Wade, Gaunt, Hainsworth, Keighley and Hollings. The most recent burial was in 2000.Look for the old date stone on the old Farsley Baptist chapel nearby now used as offices.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Inquirer wrote: Yes I'm baffled too about this Rodley stone. Is there a link to the cranemakers Thomas Smith or Booths?The old Farsley Baptist graveyard at the bottom of Coal Hill is very interesting. A charitable trust pays for some of the upkeep but many of the gravestones have fallen. Watch out for deer and foxes if you go in there. You'll find the gravestones of the Gaunt family (overlooking their Springfield Mills!), an Australian and the widow of German nobleman. There are half a dozen scattered graves looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The recurring names are Parkinson, Overend, Wade, Gaunt, Hainsworth, Keighley and Hollings. The most recent burial was in 2000.Look for the old date stone on the old Farsley Baptist chapel nearby now used as offices. Overend,thats a name in my family tree.Mine are in Guiseley at the moment (i say at the moment,my research has them there in the 17th century),such an unuasual name so i will probably be making a visit at some stage should i find a connection.I have been in contact with the Calverley homepage,of which Rodley used to be in the parish of until the 19th century i think,they are baffled as well and will post the details on their message boards to see if anyone has some info.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com