Leeds motto

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I thought it had been Pro Rege et Lege since the coat of arms was established but look at this:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodhouse-Roundha ... c55152dLet Leeds Flourish?    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

."LET LEEDS FLOURISH"I don't think this was by any means official,just the localshop owner beefing up his advertising.Could be a good motto to take the city forward out of this credit crunch,support local businesses/traders
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Doubledave

Post by Doubledave »

How about;"If it isn't broke, keep fixing it until it is"(Leeds City Council -1987)

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Doubledave wrote: How about;"If it isn't broke, keep fixing it until it is"(Leeds City Council -1987) Very close to the sign-off of a member here.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Geordie-exile wrote: I thought it had been Pro Rege et Lege since the coat of arms was established but look at this:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodhouse-Roundha ... c55152dLet Leeds Flourish?     By 'Eck! Haven't post cards gone up these days?Just a thought. How come The YEP and TV news on both channels,have started calling Woodhouse Moor, 'HYDE PARK?'The bit at Hyde Park Corner maybe, but lots of 'Woodus' Mooris in Burley, and Woodhouse of course.The Meddlin' Media strikes again! GRRRR!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Because they're ignorant ships who should be whipped all the way to Otley and back.Mind you an episode of the X Files (popular entertainment on the telly box a while back) referred to a Royal Navy battleship leaving 'the port of Leeds'.I can only surmise that they had a small map and the 's' of leeds was close to Hull.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Cardiarms wrote: Because they're ignorant ships who should be whipped all the way to Otley and back.Mind you an episode of the X Files (popular entertainment on the telly box a while back) referred to a Royal Navy battleship leaving 'the port of Leeds'.I can only surmise that they had a small map and the 's' of leeds was close to Hull. Mebbe it was a 'Pocket-battleship' and it was able to get down the Navvy to Selby!! (Watch out for the Locks!!! What locks?)

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Glasgow's city motto is "Let Glasgow Flourish", that being the abbreviated form. The full motto is "Let Glasgow Flourish Through The Preaching Of Thy Word and Praising Thy Name". Maybe the folks making the postcard had been doing Glasgow before Leeds and confused the motto!! As an old Glaswegian who has lived in Leeds since the late sixties, I rather like the idea of both places having the same motto.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Both are better than "Leeds Live it Love It" (or however it goes)which we no doubt paid some marketing "expert" in red spectacles a kings ransom to come up with.And if I remember correctly, it is very similar to the advertising slogan used by the town where our civic head of marketing had just come from.....It should have just been "Love Leeds" which works on so many levels.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Geordie-exile wrote: I thought it had been Pro Rege et Lege since the coat of arms was established but look at this:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodhouse-Roundha ... c55152dLet Leeds Flourish?     Let Leeds Flounder seems more apt.
"always expect the unexpected"