A Tetley's pub called The Belle Vue?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I strongly suspect that this pub sign comes from elsewhere than Leeds. Tetley's owned pubs all over the place.A quick Google on Belle Vue pub will throw up loads of hits.Wakefield Rugby ground is of course Belle Vue and there used to be pubs near it now closed, although I can't recall one with this name offhand.In fact just to wind loiners up, Manchester's famous speedway track was Belle Vue where I watched Belle Vue Aces ride back i n the 1970's!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Steve Jones wrote: In fact just to wind loiners up, Manchester's famous speedway track was Belle Vue where I watched Belle Vue Aces ride back i n the 1970's! I used to go to Manchester quite a lot in the course of my work and visit a two customers in this area, one at Mount Street Levenshulme and the other at Denton. So I used to pass the old Belle Vue regularly, I don't recall seeing a pub with the name though. The Doncaster Rovers football ground used to be called Belle Vue, perhaps its from there?
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

I instantly thought of Belle Vue in Manchester, although I *think* Tetleys pubs are rare on that side of the hills. Doncaster was also in mind as I grew up there, but the old Belle Vue ground (to paraphrase the football chant, your garden shed *was* better than this) and actually took its name from the land that it shared with the old aerodrome and to my knowledge didn't have any pubs nearby - the Earl of Doncaster hotel and the The Park on Hyde Park road would be the nearest.    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

simong wrote: I instantly thought of Belle Vue in Manchester, although I *think* Tetleys pubs are rare on that side of the hills. Doncaster was also in mind as I grew up there, but the old Belle Vue ground (to paraphrase the football chant, your garden shed *was* better than this) and actually took its name from the land that it shared with the old aerodrome and to my knowledge didn't have any pubs nearby - the Earl of Doncaster hotel and the The Park on Hyde Park road would be the nearest.     In the days when Tetleys was just a Leeds Brewery there were some Tetleys pubs that side of the hill, but then in the early sixties, Tetleys merged with Walkers of Warrington and became Tetley Walker, after other mergers with Ind Coope and Ansells, they dropped the Walker name and just became Tetleys north of Chesterfield anyway - the pubs in the midlands were Ansells.In the seventies Tetleys had an ad campaign "Tetley bittermen, you can't beat 'em so join 'em" in the midlands they ran the same campaign - but subsituted Ansells for Tetley. Anyway to get back to the thread, there used to be plenty of Tetleys pubs in and around Manchester - there'd have been even more if the proposed early seventies merger with Boddingtons had gone through.
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

Trojan wrote: In the days when Tetleys was just a Leeds Brewery there were some Tetleys pubs that side of the hill, but then in the early sixties, Tetleys merged with Walkers of Warrington and became Tetley Walker, after other mergers with Ind Coope and Ansells, they dropped the Walker name and just became Tetleys north of Chesterfield anyway - the pubs in the midlands were Ansells.In the seventies Tetleys had an ad campaign "Tetley bittermen, you can't beat 'em so join 'em" in the midlands they ran the same campaign - but subsituted Ansells for Tetley. Anyway to get back to the thread, there used to be plenty of Tetleys pubs in and around Manchester - there'd have been even more if the proposed early seventies merger with Boddingtons had gone through. I remember the Ansells ads from visits to relatives in ATVland. I am actually quite surprised that there would be Tetley's pubs in Manchester as I assumed that the equivalent of the Tetley estate would be Boddington's or Robinson's.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

simong wrote: Trojan wrote: In the days when Tetleys was just a Leeds Brewery there were some Tetleys pubs that side of the hill, but then in the early sixties, Tetleys merged with Walkers of Warrington and became Tetley Walker, after other mergers with Ind Coope and Ansells, they dropped the Walker name and just became Tetleys north of Chesterfield anyway - the pubs in the midlands were Ansells.In the seventies Tetleys had an ad campaign "Tetley bittermen, you can't beat 'em so join 'em" in the midlands they ran the same campaign - but subsituted Ansells for Tetley. Anyway to get back to the thread, there used to be plenty of Tetleys pubs in and around Manchester - there'd have been even more if the proposed early seventies merger with Boddingtons had gone through. I remember the Ansells ads from visits to relatives in ATVland. I am actually quite surprised that there would be Tetley's pubs in Manchester as I assumed that the equivalent of the Tetley estate would be Boddington's or Robinson's. The most surprising was that in and around Oldham and Rochdale there were quite a lot of Sam Smiths pubs - presumably they'd taken over a local brewery for the outlets.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

When I moved to a flat in Ormond Road, Richmond, Surrey, in 1983, I was surprised to find that the nearest pub was a Sam Smith's!    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: When I moved to a flat in Ormond Road, Richmond, Surrey, in 1983, I was surprised to find that the nearest pub was a Sam Smith's!     We went into a "real ale exhibtion" type pub in Harrow in 1979 (we were en-route to Wembley) and the landlord proudly showed us his Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter, my mate who didn't mince his words said "we don't drink that muck at 'ome, I'm damned if we're drinkin' it 'ere"I don't mind a drop of Sams actually - and their pubs are very reasonable compared to others.
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

Si wrote: When I moved to a flat in Ormond Road, Richmond, Surrey, in 1983, I was surprised to find that the nearest pub was a Sam Smith's!     I think they might have more pubs in London than they do in Yorkshire now - didn't they divest a lot of premises in the north in the mid-90s? Compared to other London pub prices, 'reasonable' is hardly an adequate term. in central London they are the only ones where you'll get change from a fiver for two pints.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

simong wrote: Si wrote: When I moved to a flat in Ormond Road, Richmond, Surrey, in 1983, I was surprised to find that the nearest pub was a Sam Smith's!     I think they might have more pubs in London than they do in Yorkshire now - didn't they divest a lot of premises in the north in the mid-90s? Compared to other London pub prices, 'reasonable' is hardly an adequate term. in central London they are the only ones where you'll get change from a fiver for two pints. They are very self sufficient. They have their own version of everything. Hand pulled bitter, keg mild, lager (Ayingerbrau) organic lager, pils lager, cider, they even have their own version of Guiness - same goes for the stuff on optic - it's all their "own label" version. Perhaps that's how they keep the price down?
Industria Omnia Vincit