A Tetley's pub called The Belle Vue?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
simong

Post by simong »

I could be just being plain ignorant here, but a friend has posted a picture of a roadside attraction near Atlanta, Georgia called Goats on the Roof (because it has, er, goats on the roof) on Facebook. In the picture is a Tetley pub sign for a pub called The Belle Vue. Was this in Leeds? And what is its sign doing on a shop in rural Georgia?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Just watched a clip of it on You Tube.Sorry don't know how to do links

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I'm not aware of a 'Belle Vue' in Leeds - there certainly was one on Manningham Lane in Bradford - now demolished - but I don't remember it as being Tetley's. of course Tetleys had pubs all over the west riding and even a few beyond.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I think I'm correct in saying there is a Tetley's "Belle Vue" in Filey.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: I'm not aware of a 'Belle Vue' in Leeds - there certainly was one on Manningham Lane in Bradford - now demolished - but I don't remember it as being Tetley's. of course Tetleys had pubs all over the west riding and even a few beyond. The only Belle Vue I know in West Yorkshire is the one where Wakefield Trinity play and the adjacent Tetleys pub (now gone) was called "The Graziers" funny really, the only pubs I've seen with this name have been in Wakefield, the one above, one at Stanley and one opposite the old Wakefield cattle market.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I have found a link to the store and sent them an email asking if they have any knowledge as to the pub in question. I'll let you know if they reply.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

drapesy wrote: I'm not aware of a 'Belle Vue' in Leeds - there certainly was one on Manningham Lane in Bradford - now demolished - but I don't remember it as being Tetley's. of course Tetleys had pubs all over the west riding and even a few beyond. Yes, the Belle Vue in Bradford (near Valley Parade football ground) was a Hammonds house.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: drapesy wrote: I'm not aware of a 'Belle Vue' in Leeds - there certainly was one on Manningham Lane in Bradford - now demolished - but I don't remember it as being Tetley's. of course Tetleys had pubs all over the west riding and even a few beyond. Yes, the Belle Vue in Bradford (near Valley Parade football ground) was a Hammonds house. It's possibly that then because in the mid seventies there was a great pub swap between Bass (successors to Hammonds) and Tetleys. In areas where Tetley dominated Bass took over some pubs and vice versa in areas where Bass dominated. The "Halfway House" at the top of Scotchman Lane in Morley is a case in point. It used to be Ind Coope, when they merged with Tetleys it became Tetleys, but in the Great Pub Swap it changed to Bass.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Trojan wrote: BLAKEY wrote: drapesy wrote: I'm not aware of a 'Belle Vue' in Leeds - there certainly was one on Manningham Lane in Bradford - now demolished - but I don't remember it as being Tetley's. of course Tetleys had pubs all over the west riding and even a few beyond. Yes, the Belle Vue in Bradford (near Valley Parade football ground) was a Hammonds house. It's possibly that then because in the mid seventies there was a great pub swap between Bass (successors to Hammonds) and Tetleys. In areas where Tetley dominated Bass took over some pubs and vice versa in areas where Bass dominated. The "Halfway House" at the top of Scotchman Lane in Morley is a case in point. It used to be Ind Coope, when they merged with Tetleys it became Tetleys, but in the Great Pub Swap it changed to Bass. ...and the Little Park on Hyde Park Road.