Air Raid Shelter Sign, Leeds University

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
floodland

Post by floodland »

there is a painted sign on the corner of the Estate Services building at the Uni, with an arrow pointing to the nearest shelter - where is/was the facility it leads to?

munki

Post by munki »

Hello Floodland, welcome to the site!I don't know where the shelter is, but here is the sign (from elsewhere on the site). Is this the same one that you have seen? If there is more than one, we could 'traingulate'.
Attachments
ARP.jpg
ARP.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

floodland

Post by floodland »

hi. yeh i think that's the same one (can't remember which direction the arrow was pointing in though). i have emailed Estate Services to see if they can shed any light on it.

munki

Post by munki »

Pointing roughly north...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

rikj

Post by rikj »

I'm just hazarding a guess that the ARP shelter would have been in basement accomodation at the university. Quite a few places in the city centre (the Town Hall for one) had the basments marked as shelters.Just my 2p.

floodland

Post by floodland »

Estate Services say that 'the air raid shelter is now a boiler / plant room'. it's quite likely it is in a basement, possibly reinforced - have asked for more info.