The oldest 'temporary' sign in Leeds?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

If you travel down York Road towards Leeds, as you pass Great Clothes you might spot a temporary yellow sign that was put up to direct traffic to the Euro '96 football match that was held at Elland Road.That would mean that this 'temporary' sign has been in place for nearly 13 years! Does anyone know of any older temporary signs, or is this a record?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I think this is the one you mean Davey!!!I took this about 18 months ago but its still there - (I originally posted this on page 15 of the 'signs of old Leodis thread) Elland Road hosted 3 games in the Euro 96 tournament.
Attachments
__TFMF_emkalrjze2d2mf45xbp10huz_b94095df-78a9-44cc-9f7e-8d66c99372f2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_emkalrjze2d2mf45xbp10huz_b94095df-78a9-44cc-9f7e-8d66c99372f2_0_main.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Thats the one - I did wonder if it had been mentioned before, but a quick search for Euro 96 turned up nothing.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I remember walking along Commercial Street one Sunday during the tournament, the cafes had chairs outside like on the continent and there were some fans (presumably foreigners) sat outside in the sunshine, and I overheard the cafe proprieter say "oh no you have to come and get it - we don't bring it out"
Industria Omnia Vincit

Dave Mruk

Post by Dave Mruk »

I've mentioned this elsewhere, and I still need to re-check, but up until only a few years ago the poster for It's A Knockout was still hanging tattily on the side of the old library/swimming baths on York Road. It's a Knockout was last in Leeds c. 1975 [laughs]
Researching the men of the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War. Ca Ira!

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

not a sign, but posters, but if you look down where the subway used to be next to the merrion centre, outside coburg/viva latina, there are some advertising posters from the 90s still in place

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

# Posted on: 18-Feb-2009 22:40:33.    Quote not a sign, but posters, but if you look down where the subway used to be next to the merrion centre, outside coburg/viva latina, there are some advertising posters from the 90s still in place http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... D=340Check this thread - I tooks pics of these a while ago and posted them here .    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

cool shots drapsey!that is going to be one of my photo-a-day shots soon i think, last time i went past it was too dark.who would have thought to have used an old subway for storage?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

kierentc wrote: cool shots drapsey!who would have thought to have used an old subway for storage? Leeds city council?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

Chrism wrote: kierentc wrote: cool shots drapsey!who would have thought to have used an old subway for storage? Leeds city council? well yes, duh!i just meant the thought wouldn't have occured to me, lol...