The smallest-most dangerous cycle path in Leeds?

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: The answer is right there in the comments to the online story, you see, it says in effect that you should look around you (where you ARE GOING!!).Clearly fails to see the point does that respondent me thinks - and not very useful advice if you happen to be one of the many the blind bus users who may chance to alight there     Exactly you hit the nail on the head. So every time you step off the bus you need to be wary for any possible new cycle path, helicopter landing pad, or whatever construction the council see fit to place there.Risk assessment should be exactly that, like assessing the risk of people just doing a simple thing like getting off a bus and then getting run over.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Looking at those pictures I understand now why cycle path and psychopath are so similar.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill, you need to get some action pics of a cyclist and a pedestrian on that section of path / cyclepath.Mind you, the advertising hoarding on the bus stop will probably be in high demand from no-win / no-fee lawyers now....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

The article mentions the designer consulted with the Leeds Cycle Action Group and the design was subjected to a Road Safety Audit. I wonder what LCAG actually said, and what the audit found?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

WiggyDiggy wrote: The article mentions the designer consulted with the Leeds Cycle Action Group and the design was subjected to a Road Safety Audit. I wonder what LCAG actually said, and what the audit found? I strongly suspect that anybody involved with LCAG is well aware of what the giveway markings mean and obey the meaning. Unfortunately the vast majority of cyclists won't obey the meaning and a few won't even recognise giveway anyway.Edited Addition- The YEP picture also displays the usual occurrence where a bus either straddles or overshoots the bus shelter encouraging alighters (not that they need much) to avoid passing through the shelter. I note the advertisement is blank too even though as mentioned it is a prime site for no win no fee lawyers.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Agree with you on LCAG, they seem a sensible lot, just strange they would think such a stop/start cycle path is better just so cyclists can get past the lights?Your right about buses stopping badly though and dont get me started on them not bothering to pull into the layby properly!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've just seen the LCAG website herehttp://leedscyclists.org.uk/2011/07/roundhay-road-cycle-lane-under-threat/That the Roundhay Road Cycle Lane was under Threat in July.So I'm not sure if they did away with a perfectly safe cycleway on the far side of the road, and built the dangerous one on the other?         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

And here is a bit more from the Leeds Cycling Consultation Forum12th October 2011.Roundhay Road Bus Lane.Details of these proposals were presented. People who used the route were unhappy that a wide road with plenty of room to pass cyclists was being sub-divided into smaller lanes with more likelihood of conflict.From this website herehttp://www.leedsctc.org.uk/Forum_Oct11_notes.pdf    

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Nice find, I saw the minutes but could not find the outcomes.They also mention parking on Kirkstall Road, all the second hand car garages along there and the glass shop underneath the railway viaduct besides Vue are particularly bad.Ironically there is also often cars parked outside Woodrups cycles, if anyone should know not to park there its someone going in that shop!

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I was queuing in traffic down Roundhay Road on my way to work this morning (traffic has only got worse down here since the so-called improvements I would like to add. Low and behold, (really good camera moment) I noticed a cyclist zoom all the way down, handlebars inches from the bus shelter itself. I thought to myself, if anyone had been exiting the bus shelter, what a surprise they would have had!What I don't understand, is that there is a footpath on the other side of that silly plantation (or island?), so wouldn't it have been common sense to put the cycle track down that side and the footpath along where the bus shelter is?.....Then again, I am talking about Leeds City Council here, this is the council that sends out their contractors to cut the grass during thick snow.
Simon -H-