Signs of old leodis

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
LS1

Post by LS1 »

dogduke wrote: LS1 wrote: dogduke wrote: I have driven up and down Hudson Road probably hundreds of timesbut have just noticed this,just higher up than the entrance to Burtons.Burton lorries were always immaculate,always clean,no dents etc. and the wheelswere always painted a silver colour.They were branded as High Street Transport at one time.This must have been the main entrance before using Torre Road. There should be about 8 or 9 of them up Hudson Road. It's the only one that says GARAGE,all the others are Tailors of Taste ! Thank you for pointing that out Dogduke. Hadn't realised that "garage" was the difference!

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

If my memory serves me correctly this was also the entrance that the buses, which brought the workers from all over the West Riding, used. I was brought up almost opposite the bottom entrance to Burton's at the bottom of Hudson Road. My mother's uncle, Ernest Hope, owned the fruit shop opposite the garage entrance.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Brunel

Re: Signs of old leodis

Post by Brunel »

All over the city, where we have real stone kerbs, can be found these inscriptions.
I assume they have been placed there by the original masons or whoever laid them originally.
Unfortunately in our push for uniformity, these are often discarded, to be replaced by the all identical concrete slab..

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I posted on October 31 2014 a photo I took on October 16 2014 of a door dated 1914 in the 'What & Where' thread at what used to be a branch of the Yorkshire Penny Bank on Regent Street (this is a link to that thread http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5475). It was only when I downloaded to my computer some photos that I took that day that I spotted that there was some faint wording above what seemed would have been the main door to that branch. I went back on October 21 2014 and took some photos to try to show the wording. This reduced photo is that which had all the wording that I could readily get onto one photo. To the bottom it seems to clearly state 'Bank' and above that it seems to state 'Established 1859'. I cannot however definitely work out what the very top wording states. It could be 'Yorkshire Penny Bank' but if so the 'Yorkshire' part seems a bit short space to have all of that there. I've tried to enhance the lettering using image manipulation tools that I have but have not been able to get anything really better.

PS. I like the lions. :P

I thought these links to images of the site in Leodis would be of interest. One is dated 21 November 1913 and the other 16 May 1929:-

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
Last edited by Leodian on Wed 05 Nov, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Another one, on Kirkstall Road.

And if you actually want to read it, the full size piccy is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikbrunels ... 6/sizes/o/
Last edited by Brunel on Wed 05 Nov, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That is well spotted Brunel.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Branches of Yorkshire Penny bank 1916 kellys.jpg
Branches of Yorkshire Penny bank 1916 kellys.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 7630 times
Have looked through directories I have and the only entry I can find for a bank there is the Yorkshire Penny Bank , circus Branch,, near Mabgate in the 1916 Kellys above. Can find nothing listed as Regent St

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This 'Signs of old leodis' thread started with a photo taken by Phill_d that was posted on February 21 2007. That photo had some of the old wording on the Merrion Street side of the Tower cinema. Passing by today (November 6 2014) I noticed that some old wording has now been exposed but some has been lost. This photo was taken today and shows much of the wording that is clear on the very first photo has now faded. I shall post next a photo showing the newly exposed wording.
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 7565 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the photo (taken today, November 6 2014) showing the newly exposed old wording 'Always a good programme' on the Merrion Street side of what used to be the Tower cinema.
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (160.25 KiB) Viewed 7565 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken November 6 2014) shows the old wording in a general view looking down Merrion Street towards Vicar Lane. See the photo immediately above for some very recently exposed old wording at the site.
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (117.51 KiB) Viewed 7565 times