commemorating heroes of rugby league

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

rughby league is interwoven in the history and culture of Leeds, yet you would never know it.No statues(there's one to Brian Bevan in Warrington, and one to Willie Horne in Barrow)no Blue plaquesno street namesno nothingyet the cities new sports centre is named after John Charles who was welsh and spent most of his career playing in Italy.I mean no disrespect to the late Mr Charlesbut feel that others deserve recognition and don't haven't been given it.Why the South Leeds Stasdium(part of the John Charles Centre for Sport) isn't called the Albert Goldthorpe Stadium especially in this the centenary of the exploits of his and his team is a mystery to me-perhaps we hace a soccercentric council.maybe I'm wrong and there are things that I've missed. Does anyone know of any?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Si

Post by Si »

Interesting you should mention Albert Goldthorpe, Fevlad. In "Around Leeds" by Matthew Young and Dorothy Payne, there's a picture of the great man on the frontispiece. Beneath it says, "...when Colonel Harding was searching...for a suitable local figure to be displayed in City Square, it seems to me he failed to cast a wide enough net. Goldthorpe represented the best kind of Yorkshire spirit and a bronze moulding of his Herculean frame would have better embodied the grit and determination of local folk than the present incumbent (the Black Prince) whose link to the area...(is) extremely tenuous."

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

When my wife moved to Leeds she thought that the Schofields Centre was named after Garry Schofield!

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

I've just remembered about the blue plaque they added to the Barley Mow when the New Zealand all golds came over last yearhttp://www.bramleytoday.co.uk/bramleybuffaloes ... 3528835.jp

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi fevlad,I can't think of any in Leeds but there is a road called the 'Clive Sullivan Way' in Hull on the approach to the Humber Bridge.Ian.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi fevlad,I can't think of any in Leeds but there is a road called the 'Clive Sullivan Way' in Hull on the approach to the Humber Bridge.Ian. correctthere are street names in Workington named after Billy Ivison and Gus RismanI think the lack of recognition of its Rugby League history in Leeds is a disgrace.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

fevlad wrote: iansmithofotley wrote: Hi fevlad,I can't think of any in Leeds but there is a road called the 'Clive Sullivan Way' in Hull on the approach to the Humber Bridge.Ian. correctthere are street names in Workington named after Billy Ivison and Gus RismanI think the lack of recognition of its Rugby League history in Leeds is a disgrace. I agree. Jeff Stephenson who died recently and played for both Hunslet and Leeds could be commemorated, as could Leeds's greatest player in my lifetime Lewis Jones. Another Welshman, but what a player.
Industria Omnia Vincit

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

the nearest it gets to any kind of public commemoration is in Morrisons at hunslet as you come out of the check outsthere is a very moving display of the great players who have come from South Leeeds. I always pause a while and look at it even though I've seen it a thousand times before.Well done Morrisons

ackers72

Post by ackers72 »

The road outside Headingley stadium was named after Mick Shoebottom(St Michaels Lane)!!!!! Well he is a legend up there, it is surprising tho that a stadium that hosts Rugby League and Athletics is named after a welsh footballer(he was a true giant tho), i.e The former South Leeds Stadium Why not The Geoff Gunney stadium or Albert Goldthorpe Stadium.Its also amazing that Headingley has no streets or places named after Leeds Rugby League or Yorkshire Cricket players. After all John Holmes Was from just down the road and went to Kirky Road School too!!!
Short in arm and long in pocket, been a long time but I am making a re-appearance!!!!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I suppose renaming streets around Headingley, Pakrside or McLaren field is out of the question. What are the roads called on the industrial estate where Parkside stood? I wonder if the streets on the housing developments where Station Road, Watersheddings, and Crown Flat stood are named after the clubs' respective great players. When Cas move to their new ground Wheldon Road could be re named "Sh!thouse Lane"
Industria Omnia Vincit