Leeds Met - The Brunswick Building

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

I had always heard the same, except that it was the Polytechnic (as it was then) or Council (who used to fund building projects) that ran out of money and not the builders.The building had a bit of a reputation as a joke withint the poly, as it was the only unfinished building they owned and it housed the architectural courses. The architectural students had the top floor, supposedly because of the light but some said it was the poly management's revenge.The building also housed the School of Health and Social Studies and yet until very late in it's life, certainly into the 90's, the sewers underneath would back-up in severe weather and flood the basement corridors with raw sewage.Futuristic it may have looked but it was not a resounding success for the occupants.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

The demise of this building may not be all about the building's poor qualities but more to do with Leeds Metropolitan's expansion throughout the city. Cloth Hall, Electric Press, Civic Quarter and heaven knows how many other sites around the city centre.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Thats right - one thing that is definate is that Leeds Met certainly aren't short of cash. Does anyone know anything about the name "Brunswick"? Lots of places have "Brunswicks", either buildings, street names or areas, but where does it come from?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Clankylad wrote: I think I may have mentioned it. I rather like it, although I understand it's slated for the chop. I like it as well
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

raveydavey wrote: Thats right - one thing that is definate is that Leeds Met certainly aren't short of cash. Does anyone know anything about the name "Brunswick"? Lots of places have "Brunswicks", either buildings, street names or areas, but where does it come from? Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors!I think Brunswick is a region of europe possibly Germanic or scandinavian. New Brunswick being a province of Canada
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I went to Leeds Met here and can confirm that when I left in 2005 it was still being used for architecture, (alongside civil engineering and quantity surveying!!). Id been told the story of the workers having to down tools, but, has anyone (apart from me) been told it was used as a film set for Blake 7!?? could be me being gullible - im not into my sci-fi, but i half believe it!!

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

Sutty wrote: ..... has anyone (apart from me) been told it was used as a film set for Blake 7!?? could be me being gullible - im not into my sci-fi, but i half believe it!! I had heard the same rumour but never backed up with proof, sorry.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

As said earlier on here ... tyke bhoy wrote: A sad end for a TV star. As mentioned on a couple of other threads it was used in an episode of Blakes 7 because even more than 10 years after being built it still had a futuristic appearance in the early 80s

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

wiggy wrote: sorry to disagree,i mean i can see it,s futuristic qualities,it reminds me of the jedi temple(yeah yeah sad,whatever)but the sooner leeds is cleared of all 60s and 70s monolith concrete monstrosoties...well the happier i will be. just watched an old episode of the sweeney,i could swear it was filmed outside the brunswick building.it was set on a uni campus too.i'm gonna disagree with me sen 'ere....it's the only concrete lump i know of that should be saved.....but it still looks like the jedi temple on corosant.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wiggy wrote: wiggy wrote: sorry to disagree,i mean i can see it,s futuristic qualities,it reminds me of the jedi temple(yeah yeah sad,whatever)but the sooner leeds is cleared of all 60s and 70s monolith concrete monstrosoties...well the happier i will be. just watched an old episode of the sweeney,i could swear it was filmed outside the brunswick building.it was set on a uni campus too.i'm gonna disagree with me sen 'ere....it's the only concrete lump i know of that should be saved.....but it still looks like the jedi temple on corosant. now now wiggy mate, they take folk away for arguing with thi'sen loland all it took were reagan and carter to save the 60's buildings of leeds??
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.