Ugliest/worst building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Myself and Chamusdarrach thought bout this thread at the same time. So here goes. I think The Evening Post building is one of the ugliest. Partly because of where it's situated, it's so noticable. Then theres nearly every major car dealers buildings. Im sure theres a way to put lots of glass around the bottom of the buildings without making rest of it look like its been completed on blue Peter.Over to you chamus

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Well assuming Morley counts as Leeds - as I said this morning - Central Methodist Hall on Wesley Street is pretty ugly. It's also poorly built, very user unfriendly, dark, cold and therefore expensive to heat. The vestibule /lobby smells of the toilets which are adjacent. It was designed by an expensive architect, the church which already owned the land it occupies, and who had sold the prime Queen Street site of their former hall to Tescos, still needed to appeal to pay for it. It's a typical sixties monstrosity IMO. The Yorkshire Post Building is certainly ugly and it's bigger, but given the scale I would say my nomination is uglier!
Industria Omnia Vincit

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Can you post a picture Trojan? If people can put pics on of buildings that aren't well known to all, maybe we can vote on their ugliness : )

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Tell me how and I'll do it. I've tried to get pix on here before and failed. This is Morley Central Methodist Hall
Attachments
__TFMF_1hmqf245w21odg45wxvgss55_7beba1cd-ae47-4e25-951f-2514b7ccf8ab_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1hmqf245w21odg45wxvgss55_7beba1cd-ae47-4e25-951f-2514b7ccf8ab_0_main.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
Industria Omnia Vincit

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

the merrion centre is pretty hideous. however from reading all the posts here about it, i've developed a bit of a fondness for it, lolhowever it it a fabulous idea in principle. just ugly

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

I think I went to post a message then just clicked on attachment. Then browse, pictures etc. I think I had to click on post twice before it actually posted. Then again you may need to ask one of the experts on here because when I read that back to myself it sounded like drivel.

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

Purely for personnal reasons, I have to nominate the Clarendon Wing at Leeds General Infirmary, not only is it a horrible, faceless concrete monstrosity, both inside and out, but having spent 40 hours there last Sept when our Little baby boy was born and died, I would like to see it razed to the ground - memories.Otherwise, yep, it has to be the Yorkshire Post building, Does Leeds deserve such an eyesore at one of its major gateways???
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

oops, forgot about that derelict eyesore at the junction of the Ring Road and Geldard road, the old abandoned car dealer and Wallace Arnold coach terminal, which is an absolute disgrace, unless there has been some strange planning law passed in Leeds that decrees that every main road into Leeds MUST have an eysore on it that only serves to embarass Leeds??
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

spongebob

Post by spongebob »

Jeez where do you start?Agreed about the evening post for a kick off, the old royal mail building was almost as bad too (only marginally better now). It's nice that they're gradually removing the 60's eyesores from the area. Good to see that the a big part of the Aireside centre was so brutally (and quickly) destroyed last week too. Structurewise can I nominate the gas holders dotted around and about, especially the ones by the gyratory, come on I know they've been up and down like a whores drawers recently but could they change the water used to seal the gas in and clean the rusty tidemarks off, with the profits grittish bass are extorting from customers they could probably afford to keep them spotless.Not only the roads into town that are blighted by eyesores, most of the railway routes into the city are too what with the tip that was Copley Hill and various graffiti daubed walls. Not bad to think it's only a few years since the station won an award for its presentation.

Si

Post by Si »

I think the ugliest building in Leeds was the Norwich Union Building in City Square, now thankfully demolished and replaced by No. 1 City Square. Now that was an eyesore, and the first building to be seen by visitors exiting the station!