Ugliest/worst building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

For me it just HAS to be the ghastly but much trumpetted BRIDGEWATER PLACE at the end of Water Lane.    Talk about repeat all the mistakes of the 1960s !! The main curved front building itself would have stood a chance if it had been completed - I'm being sarcastic there admittedly but those three "gaps" at various levels just look as if they are waiting for the arrival of some late supplies to finish the job. Then, it is joined onto by a totally characterless straight office block at the south end. I know these things are personal preference, but to add insult to injury the bloomin' thing has ruined the skyline from my sixth floor flat in Headingley as well !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

lister wrote: I nominate....1 Mill Street, Leeds, LS9 8NANo idea what the planners were thinking with this beauty! I quite like it,it's fun and fit for purpose.I'm not keen on the original LGI buildingforbidding edifice and a warren inside.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

I am surprised no one has mentioned the former British Gas building on Bridge Street, situated at the side of the Inner Ring Road. Now I haven't been past there for a while, is it still standing or has it been knocked down? I worked in the 'tower block' wing of that building for several years and it was truly horrible both inside and out. For years it simply said 'GAS' at the top of it in 1960's style lettering but then they changed it to 'British Gas' and the 'flame' logo which was actually unreadable from the road. Not long after that, BG moved to new premises (and I left the company and county for that matter). Having said all that, I did much prefer working in the old Bridge Street office to the new place, we seemed to get away with so much more like having music on and things people take for granted like having a kettle in the office rather than having to buy drinks from rotten vending machines. The YEP building will probably end up being Grade I listed as examples of this type of architecture are becoming rarer. That doesn't mean it's not ugly though. I must admit I have always liked the Kremlin. I always drove into town from the A64 so saw it an awful lot and it grew on me.

playersnwoodbines

Post by playersnwoodbines »

BLAKEY wrote: For me it just HAS to be the ghastly but much trumpetted BRIDGEWATER PLACE at the end of Water Lane.    Talk about repeat all the mistakes of the 1960s !! The main curved front building itself would have stood a chance if it had been completed - I'm being sarcastic there admittedly but those three "gaps" at various levels just look as if they are waiting for the arrival of some late supplies to finish the job. Then, it is joined onto by a totally characterless straight office block at the south end. I know these things are personal preference, but to add insult to injury the bloomin' thing has ruined the skyline from my sixth floor flat in Headingley as well !! I totally agree, is Bridgewater the place that's being called the dalek now? You can see that thing from beyond the outskirts of leeds & the only building i can think of that's quite as nasty is the Kremlin, it's a red brick wall with windows in, doesn't even try to blend into the landscape & what the hell IS that thing on the roof? It's only saving grace is that it has a pub in the foyer, i'll have to go back & check but i'm almost certain it's name is The Woodpecker.

simonm

Post by simonm »

For me, both Bridgewater place AND the Kremlin, show an imagination in some of the city's architects. Both stand out and get people talking about em. Maj on here all lament the passing of Quarry hill flats complex, but I bet in it's inception people were bemoaning the passing of what went before and this "curved" monstrosity going up. Look at London, the London Eye, gherkin, Lloyds building. All totally different from their surroundings, but make a massive aesthetic impact on the eye. My pet hate are these block buildings that all look the bloody same being thrown up all over the city! they are the slums of the 2020's imho. B/water place and the kremlin will still b standing out as the good examples of modern architecture, imho of course!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

exiled in essex

I'm sure I saw something on the TV not so long since about Sir Norman Foster (who designed the Gherkin) being the architect of the building that is to replace the International Pool. He said it's going to be better than the Gherkin and have more of a visual impact. It did look very exciting. Lots of people can't stand the Gherkin but every time I see it on a morning it makes me smile. I also have a view of the BT Tower from my office and that makes me smile too. Leeds needs iconic structures like these.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Yes it does Essex. Leeds, for years has suffered the ignomy of being a boring place, architectually speaking. If the development of the modern slums would stop and have iconic buildings like the gherkin etc, were allowed to continue the old tag would be dropped faster than a barmaid kecks! We need more immaginative architects, not sheep like we seem to have!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Forgot to add. A lot of people bemaoned the prospect of the brick man, with it's observation deck atop of it. The chap who thought it up went on to build the Angel of the North, now a massive architectural landmark, talked about all over the country! Why are the people of Leeds so fickle??    

exiled in essex

I always thought it was such a shame that the Brick Man was never built. It would have been a fantastic gateway structure for the city.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

exiled in essex wrote: I always thought it was such a shame that the Brick Man was never built. It would have been a fantastic gateway structure for the city. What are the chances that we on here could get the necessary parties interested in raising the project up again?That would be great,but possibly Gormley would think that he no longer needs such a work since the Angel of the North?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com